Flying Squirrel!

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Any suggestions?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I photographed this Eurasian Red Squirrel last month in Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland.

Technical Details

Sony a1, Sony 200-600mm @ 448mm, manual exposure, f/8 @ 1/1600th, ISO 1250

4 Likes

Amazing, confounding, surprising. How on earth did you ever get this image? The detail of the ears, face, and front paws is wonderful, especially against the blurred background.

1 Like

Wow! Laughed out loud then stopped to look at the details and colours. I like the depth of field as it gives dimension to the photo.

To be very picky I have mixed feelings about the tell foliage at the bottom as it distracts a bit from the beautiful red and green complementary colours. However, it does help to balance the image with equal distance from the squirrel to the edges. It would be interesting to try cloning out the yellow.

A very wonderful photo. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Flippin’ Marvelous, Charles! I wanna hang with you, man! You get all the great shots!!! :smile:

1 Like

Hi Charles,
wow, that looks fantastic. You caught that squirrel in a perfect position.
I wonder how long you were lying in wait to get that shot.

I agree with @Robena.Sirett about the vibrant foliage at the bottom of the frame. I would desaturate that part so it doesn’t draw so much attention.

Well done!

1 Like

Great capture and it’s technically solid and focus is spot on !
As for foilage at the bottom, you can match it to BG by changing the hue, selectively.

Cheers :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Glad you all liked it. I shot many, many frames of these jumping squirrels to get a few really good ones. They were extremely fast. I averaged 6 frames per jump at Sony’s high speed frame rate. I left the moss at the bottom of the frame as it was because I felt the squirrel needed some place obvious to land. I’m not sure it would be so obvious if I toned it down.

1 Like

Jumping for joy! And it’s a red, not a grey - great shot!

1 Like

Interesting that you mention Grey Squirrel, Mike. I learned that the Grey Squirrel introduced from North America out-competes the Red Squirrel and has caused it to decline in the UK. But with culling of Grey Squirrels, and most interesting (!) the increase in the number of Pine Martins, which prey on Grey Squirrels but not Red ones, is helping keep the Grey Squirrel population in check if not reducing it.

1 Like

This made me smile right off the bat! Thank you for sharing. Can’t think of a thing I would do different to this shot.

1 Like

Initial reaction, Charles is “Very Cool”!! :slight_smile:

Great idea to go for anticipated jumping or flying towards you and the burst certainly paid off!

Aesthetically, conceptually and technically it’s a great image as presented, I wouldn’t change a thing! :slight_smile:

Just an awesome capture that I thoroughly enjoyed viewing, it made me smile! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh my! Did he land on your lens! What a fun capture!

1 Like

I am late to the party, but I chime in with the “wows”. Such wonderful details in the face, and the colors are so rich. Excellent image.

1 Like

Hello !
I’m just trying to walk the talk, as I suggested, tried to to make the foilage less noticeable by changing the hue.

1 Like

Love the image Chuck. Your discipline and persistence paid off :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an incredibly stellar image. You caught this squirrel in such a perfect position and in razor sharp focus. It is wonderful. Thank you so very much for posting it.

1 Like

I missed this earlier – so glad I found it by checking the EPs – a wonderful and incredible image!!

1 Like

Hi J, I wasn’t sure that your suggestion would make much difference to Charles’ already-great image – but boy did you just teach me something! I hope I learn to see the subtle difference hue can make in my own work – thanks! – MET

2 Likes