Flying water, experiment

Last fall, I got interested in catching the colors that can be seen in flying drops of water as specific angles. This close-up view of the splashing from the waterfall in my backyard ponds is the best result so far, but I’m not done… The sense of fireworks combined with today’s date pushed me to post this to see what folks think. (7D2, 180mm macro, 1/6 s, f/18, iso 800, tripod)

Mark: This is intriguing. I’m especially curious about the dotted lines and those that seem to be bouncing. I would have expected a longer SS to get this effect. Great concept and nicely executed. >=))>

Cool. It looks rather sci-fi, like images of atomic particles shooting through space. Might be interesting in b&w.

@Bill_Fach, The “dotted” arcs most likely appear because water drops that exceed about 0.1 mm in diameter oscillate between oblate and prolate spheroids as they fly (due to aerodynamic forces). This means that different amounts of light get scattered towards the camera as they change shape. I believe that the bouncing is actually that. Small drops can bounce (think like skipping a stone) off the water surface. There’s a lot of optical and aerosol physics behind what you see here.

Original and outside the box. Hydrodynamically fascinating effect. Is it radioactive?

Who woulda thunk? This is just super cool stuff, Mark. One could spend hours looking at this trying to figure out what’s going on. It reminds me of cloud chamber images.

This is so creative Mark! It reminds me of the night sky and a long exposure, where we might see a meteor, star trail, the dots of a blinking airplane’s lights, etc! I love the abstract shapes and lines and colors too. Congratulations!