Flying Wood Duck

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the wing pose and this image captures all the beauty the wood duck has in breeding plumage. The background is nice too. I know it is a bit centered but I have many others showing a slightly smaller wood duck in flight with more background but wanted to go in tight on a few like this one.

The recent take off is shown by the few floating water drops.

Creative direction

I spent the late Winter and early Spring photographing wood ducks at several locations. Tried to get all the poses: on a branch, on a log, floating alone and floating with a female but my favorites have to be the inflight shots.

I wanted to show all the beauty of the wood duck in Spring and I think this shows about 100% of the color. You only see these colors on inflight images.

Specific Feedback

Water drops an issue ? I like the almost centered look with the details of light in front and behind the flying wood duck on the water.

All input appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z8, Nikon 180-600 at 600mm, F6.3, 1/4000. Process in LR with Pureraw3 for noise reduction only.

Description

After much searching and talking to fellow photographers I found a nice spot to have the possibility of in flight shots. Also the approximate times of take off. Persistence paid off as I got numerous nice in flight images of both males and females. Took several trips to get the quality I wanted but the time in the field paid off.

Hi Andrew – Wow, what an outstanding capture! Amazing to see these colors in such a terrific in flight pose. Congrats! Love the wings down look and the background is quite nice too. Not a big deal but I’m thinking you could move the bird slightly to the right in the frame and still keep it the same size in the image. Just a thought.
Your perseverance certainly paid off. Green with envy here. :slightly_smiling_face:

A beautiful flight shot that really shows of the gorgeous colors of this species, Andrew. I could definitely see reframing it to pull it more to the right of the frame, but that’s a pretty minor nit for an excellent image.