Fog on the Water + Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Central Oregon is my “Happy Place’. The road to this magical spot is closed in the winter until mid-June. It finally opened so I could capture this amazing lake with the Sisters Mountains in the background. Can you say paradise?

Specific Feedback

Overall impression of comp.

Technical Details

35mm, ISO 125, F13

5 Likes

Gorgeous!! I love the mist on the water and the softly lighted clouds. The calm water allowing the reflection is wonderful! My only wish is for a bit more FG at the base. Linton Lake?

Thanks for the feedback. Close on location, this is Scott Lake just down the road.

Scott, what a beautiful image you captured here. I love the reflections and the fog. The sunlight on the left side is magnificent and guides the viewer’s eye right to the mountains. I like the open area on the left side in the FG, but for balance’s sake, I wish there were something else there besides the water to balance the right side of the composition. The warm and cool tones in the image are priceless.

Beautiful photograph! I agree with the compositional comments above: either include more foreground (if this is cropped) or go all in on eliminating the foreground and just riding the mirror composition. I also tend to be bothered a bit by the fact that there’s shoreline on the right but not the left. Nice work!

Scott, what a beautiful place to visit as summer begins. The light is just perfect. The mists soften the shoreline and make the picture. Including the shore in the foreground helps anchor the photo. I agree with Jeff that cropping might help balance the image. The bushes on the right are “heavy” in how they dominate that area. I wonder if cropping most of them out would help. Also, not much is happening in the sky to the right of the mountains. I might crop just a bit off the top down to the bright pink clouds. The shoreline on the left foreground can help balance the trees along the distant shore. Not sure if that helps. By the way, I think the distant shoreline is not quite level. A charming picture. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks for the feedback! The 5AM shoot was worth getting up for. Revised edition posted soon.

1 Like

Thanks so much! The jury has spoken and I agree, the FG is a distraction. Revised image coming soon.

Thanks so much! I agree, and am cropping out the FG. And good catch on the levelling, I will correct as well and re-post.

1 Like

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback! I did crop out the FG, did a little levelling and like the result.

2 Likes

That did it for me, Scott. I love the revision you created. The image is very serene.

I’d like to suggest you place the revised image side by side with the original. Here is how you can add your edited photo to appear side by side with the OP. That will help viewers scroll from the original to the revised version very easily without having to scroll down and search for the revised photo. It’s also good to revise the title of the post to indicate there is a revised version. Here’s what I suggest:

(1) Add +rework to the very first line of your post. Just click the pencil icon to modify that title. In your case, it would be ‘Title’ (+Rework).

(2) To add the reworked image next to the original one, you’ll click on the pencil icon at the bottom of the original post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. You can place the cursor after the original entry and upload the reworked image (without removing the original entry, of course). If you want, add text after the original image and after the reworked image. Of course, you may prefer to put the revised image to appear first. You just put the cursor where you want the new image to appear.

Again, these are only suggestions. If you want further assistance, please do not hesitate to write back. I’m sending this note only to you since it doesn’t have to clutter your photo entry.

Done, thanks!

You’re welcome. You might want to do that for the very first entry – the actual post you did – not down in the threaded messages. If a viewer looks at the entry and doesn’t read the entire thread of comments, the viewer will miss the additional edit. I suppose I need to refine my instructions. Message me privately if something is not clear.

The new post is even more awesome! It definitely belongs being at the top of the original thread!

Okay, posted at top (hopefully). Thanks!

1 Like

Done (hopefully). Thanks!

1 Like

Great, Scott. It’s great to have the photos side by side. We can click from one to the next back and forth for comparison. The edit you did has really made the composition stronger. Well done!

Thanks again! Love critiques.

1 Like

Scott, what a difference the cropping has made. You now have a nicely balanced composition.

Many Thanks!