Sparks Lake

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is Sparks Lake in central Oregon, one of my favorite places. You see South Sister and Broken Top mountains in the BG. I arrived at sunrise and watched the sun come up and light up the mountains. The fog added a nice touch.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is most welcome regarding color, comp, etc.

Technical Details

This is a bracketed photo of 5 images. 25mm, ISO 125, Nikon Z7ii.

1 Like

Hi Scott
Well this image has everything a good landscape image would like to have. Warm light, nice shadows, reflections and a snowy peak. And then you got that delicate dreamy fog. I can totally understand why it’s one of your favorite places, you definitely managed to show that in your image.
Thinking of things I might have done differently, only one thing comes to mind. I’d love to see these two mountains more symmetrical in the image. That symmetry you caught is so beautiful and adds to that reflection. But in the image, there’s a bit more space on the right, which breaks that symmetry. In addition to breaking the symmetry, the fog in that space is lighter - which attracts my eye (a bit) from the center.
I think I might understand your considerations - including these rocks on the right in the image rather than cutting them. I too think it’s a good idea, but personally I think the desire for symmetry here is stronger. I wonder if you’d like that crop too.

Tom, thanks so much for the feedback and ideas. I agree, the symmetry is off now that you mentioned it. I am reworking the image to give it more balance. As far as the fog being a bit lighter on the right, that is where the sun was coming in from. If you look at the rocks and their shadows, it depicts the angle of the sun. so, I may keep that part in, at least for now. Curious what others think. Thanks again for the critique!

1 Like

Hi Scott, this image evokes the feeling of a cool crisp dawn in the mountains so well! It’s a bit different vantage point than the usual view and that is a good thing IMO. I’m not so bothered by the symmetry or lack thereof. I do think the sky doesn’t have a lot going on, and I might consider cropping to 16:10 or even 16:9 to reduce the amount of sky in the frame.

I know the exact spot this was taken for I shot a very similar composition when I first moved to Bend. I like how you used the polarizer to both show below the surface and at the same time show the surface as a reflection. I like how it fades from one to the other. There are some nice horizontal lines in this composition. There was a whole lot more snow on those mountains just a month ago.

Thanks Igor! I have a place in Bend and spend about 50% of my time there. Sparks is one of my favorite places! Appreciate the feedback. Scott