Foggy Elk

All technical and compositional feedback welcomed. It was a very foggy morning, in the National Park, and we had to stay quite a distance away from the elk. I was a good 1.5 football fields away.

Nikon D7500, nikkor 70-200mm, f2.8 lens with nikon 1.7x. f/4.8, 1/1250sec, iso 640 (auto).
Post proceeding removed a bit of noise and lightened it up just a hair. I clipped it just to remove a bit of the top and sides.

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Mike !
I really liked your choice of composition, the stag in the middle looks impressive. You can go more pano by cropping some of the foreground, if you like. I don’t really have any idea about 1.7X quality but IQ of the image doesn’t look good.

1 Like

Hi Mike, welcome to NPN. This looks like a fine scene that would be very enjoyable to experience, with the fog and the elk. In the larger version, everything looks soft. At 1/1250s, that softness suggests that the camera wasn’t stable. If this was tripod mounted, then the head may not be sturdy enough for the camera/lens/extender combo. On the rare occasion when I try to hand hold my 5D3 w 100-400 combo, I need the internal stabilization turned on even at 1/1250s.