Foggy Morning Grass

The fog was just starting to burn off when I shot this. Hope you like it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji GFX50S
1/250 @ f/7.1, 45-100 f/4 @ 100mm, 200 ISO, tripod

@simplynature
9 Likes

I LOVE it!! Fantastic shapes and a gorgeous gradient! And blue and brown is always a winner.

1 Like

Like I noted earlier, the blue is fabulous. I’m wondering if you used one of the Fujifilm’s profiles to get this color rendition?

1 Like

I shot it using the Provia emulation, but I changed it to Film Standard in Capture One Pro 21.

Simple, elegant and gorgeous, Bill!! Getting extremely picky, I might clone out the very end of the reed leaving the frame at the bottom just to leave a bit of blue all the way around, but like I said, really minor. This is beautiful.

@Harley_Goldman said it best, its simple and elegant. also very crisp and clean looking. I’ve seen a lot of these reed reflection images over the years, but this one has very compelling graphic shapes and lines, and as others have noted, the colors add a lot to the impact of this image. Great work here Bill, this is a winner for sure.

1 Like

I believe that shooting in an emulation affects only the jpg file and what you see on the camera screen. The raw file doesn’t have that emulation. That’s what I have been assuming all along. I could be wrong though.

Thanks @Diane_Miller , @Igor_Doncov , @Harley_Goldman , and @Ed_McGuirk for your comments and suggestions!

@Harley_Goldman - Yeah, I was torn about the one piece of grass exiting the frame. Normally, I would have cloned it but I decided to leave it as it was since it was connected to the long graceful grass above. That was my reasoning, but I’m not sure my reasoning was correct.

@Igor_Doncov - I believe you are correct re: film emulation. It is still applied in RAW but, of course, you can change it during processing.

I wrote that it wasn’t applied in Raw but could be later applied to Raw in processing. Is that correct? I suppose a simple test could verify that.

1 Like

If the film simulation modes work like the creative filters in my Lumix, they are applied to a jpg file only, but I could test this, too. Recently I discovered that during your import to Lightroom, you need to make sure you check Embedded & Sidecar. That way you can see the file info the camera creates for that filter or film simulation mode if it can be applied to RAW files. Also in preferences you need to check the “treat jpg files next to RAW files as separate photos’’ box if you’re shooting jpg and RAW together. I never shot that way until recently for a project and so when I tried I didn’t realize why the jpegs weren’t showing up in my import. Doh!

1 Like

Bill, I was suggesting just cloning the tip to leave a little bit of space rather than the whole thing. I might not have been too clear on that.

1 Like

I use Capture One for Raw Processing and yes, you can choose which emulation you want to use during conversion. That said, it will show whichever emulation you initially chose in-camera when you view them in Capture One, but you can still change it.

Yeah, I did understand what you meant. My response was speaking just to the little bit that exits the frame but I didn’t want the grass to appear it ended when it was obvious it really didn’t. It drives me crazy when it exits the frame, but I allowed in this instance. Again, I don’t know that my reasoning was correct or not.

I LOVE it. Very minimalist and blue color with the fading fog in the background really makes this sing. It’s tack sharp and beautifully seen Bill. I don’t say to frame an image very often but this is an image I would personally print. It’s art!

1 Like

I’ll fall in line Bill, lovely color and the shapes are wonderful. I really like the crystal clarity of the reflection too.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Haynes & @John_Williams . I appreciate your comments!

Bill,

Awesome shot. I especially like the simplicity of this scene. …Jim

1 Like

Oh this is ingenious. Making art out of the humblest settings… Very nicely done, kudos Bill :clap:

1 Like

Thank you @Jim_Zablotny & @Nikos for your remarks! Greatly appreciated.

1 Like