Misty Morning IV

This is my last photo from a beautiful and photographically productive misty morning in Vermont. Thanks to all who commented and critiqued my previous photos. The critiques helped take those images up a notch. I look forward to hearing your thoughts here.

5D2, 100-400 @ 170
f/8, 1/25s, ISO100
TK curves adjustments, dodging & burning

5 Likes

Well, this is absolutely lovely. The muted colors are gorgeous and I love the framing, with the two long triangles of grasses and woods playing against each other. The mood is calm and gentle. Maybe you could bring up the shadows in the foreground grasses a bit, but it’s fine as presented, also.

This looks like a Hudson River School painting, the warm glow is just wonderful. Aside from the golden light and the soft muted colors of the foliage, there are a lot of nice small touches to appreciate too. On the left side I like how the phragmites are all bending and leaning towards the golden fog. I also love the small grasses in the water to the left of them too. I like the misty look of the distant hillside in the background. I also like how you composed this to get the repeating triangle shapes within this scene.

This is a nitpick, but I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley about bringing up the shadows in the foreground grasses, I think it would be more in line with the light mood in the rest of the image.

Very lovely. So evocative of autumn. The wedge-shaped layers draw my eye through the photo. The dark grasses in front are so crisp and clear and make a wonderful foreground element, especially superimposed against the soft, warm, glowing background.

I like the nice warm tones in the light, Craig. The foreground is sharp and frosty . I think the third triangular layer in the background is just along for the ride and filling out the geometry of the frame…maybe some dodging in this area . Very nice image.

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley, @Ed_McGuirk, @Chris_Baird and @Stephen_Stanton!

I brightened up the foreground grasses quit a bit, but it sounds like I could go further.

Ed, I knew what you meant by the context, but I had to look up phragmites. Thanks for the naming lesson!

I think more so on the right half of the grasses, and the water in the LRC.

I also think the FG grass could be brightened and warmed a bit. a nice juxtaposition but the contrast between FG and BG almost looks like different times of day as posted…

I can’t add much to what Bonnie and Ed have already said. Bringing up the light on the grass , especially towards the right of the frame, and maybe adding a bit more texture (Lr), clarity (Ps) or possible dodging and burning just to get those silvery grasses to “sing” a bit more could add to the sense of depth. But overall, this is a lovely scene - great light, texture and line.

This is such a beautiful scene, Craig. I love the details in the foreground grasses, and then the tall, billowing fog against those warm background trees is just lovely.

Thanks @Dan_Kearl, @Kerry_Gordon and @Mark_Muller!

I agree the colors are gorgeous and the mood calm and gentle. I was thinking if you could see more of the reflections from the weeds in the front for me balance of the bright yellow, would it be too much of a distraction or more of a balance. When I saw this image it stopped me dead in my tracks and I wanted to see more, beautiful!!!