Foodie (w/1 revision)

Revised to give the bird a bit more exposure and saturation (but the crop isn’t exactly like the other, I tried).

Original -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another of our girls on the pink flowers this time. She visits often in short bursts; probably eggs or nestlings waiting on her. This spray of pink flowers dips down so the birds have to reach up into them and while her wing position isn’t the best here, I like it because the light was soft and the background matched. Plus I can’t help pointing the camera at her every time she comes by.

Specific Feedback

Does the wonky wing position make this not worth keeping? I a becoming pickier about it so…I’m torn.

Technical Details

Handheld on the couch

Lr for a lot of work to get the pink flowers more realistic looking as they were oversaturated. A bit of a crop and into Topaz Sharpen AI then into Photoshop for some added canvas and some distraction removal. Also masked the bird to bring up the exposure on just her. Lowered the exposure of the brightest bg green.

1 Like

Hi Kris. You mention spending a lot of time getting the flowers looking right and my first impression was that they were slightly undersaturated, but I wasn’t going to mention it because flowers are so variable in color. The hummingbird does look a bit dull to my eye-maybe give her a bit more pop?

Hi Kris, the wing position is not ideal but I wouldn’t throw this in the trash bin just for that. I like the profile view of the bird and good look of the eye/head. I’m not familiar with this flower but I will say that find it pleasing in this image. Nice catch of the feeding behavior.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - I gave her a touch up and reposted. Better? The flowers are a medium pink and this looks right for daylight when I compare it with the real thing. The red version has deeper color, but I often lighten and desaturate those a bit, too.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks - she is a hungry girl with mouths to feed so she comes by all the time. I have more of her and will no doubt keep photographing her all summer. And any other girls that come by. They’re so territorial and combative that I cringe when they hit each other. Hopefully that doesn’t happen this year.

I do like the extra bit of pop to the hummer, Kris. Just enough to make her stand out from the background.

1 Like