Hummer at Flowers

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken in a backyard with lots of flowers for this female allen’s hummingbird to choose from. It was a challenge for me but I finally got this shot. Hard.

Specific Feedback

I wonder about the white wall peeking thru the BG. I does help describe the subject some. I decided not to worry about it. Yeah?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 1800, Photo AI, cropped to 3110 x 3358

Great shot, Dave. Love the detail in the hummer and the flower. As for the white wall, it is somewhat bothersome for me, but not sure how to remedy the situation. Perhaps others will a lot more knowledge about post processing can recommend a solution.

Oh she looks like she’s in hummingbird heaven! I love the tail spread and how she’s kind of bent and reaching. Those feet are so endearing. Hummies can perch, but they cannot walk. I don’t mind the white fence, but as I suggested in another post, you could add a solid color layer in Ps and use a black mask to hide it except where you want to paint it into the shot. I’ve used 4-6 separate color layers, picking from different areas and using different brush opacities and layer blend modes to get it looking reasonably natural. Many do-overs, but just trash the layer and start again.

1 Like

I really like the wing position and beak-in-the-flower position, Dave. As Kris mentions, there are ways to paint some other shades into the background to replace the white, but to me, it’s not bright enough to be offensive in this image. I do think a bit more room on both sides would suit my taste better if there’s not some extraneous stuff that you wanted to avoid.

Very nice capture Dave. Details are great on the bird and I like the flower color. Nice pose and wing position. I’m not bothered by the white in the background. Agree with more room on either side if it doesn’t distract. Well done.