Hummer Sentinel

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I caught this male anna’s guarding “his” hummingbird feeder this morning in some diffused light. I liked that catch of its iridescent head feathers, and the environmental liquid amber pods.

Specific Feedback

I kept the pine needles on the lower left corner thinking they don’t really hurt anything, and fill that corner a bit. Yeah? No?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.45 TC, monopod, 1/1250th, f 9, 945mm, ISO 3600, cropped to 27256 x 3104

Nice job on the Anna’s, Dave. I love the dangling seed heads and the perch is nice and sharp as well as the bird. I would remove the extra twig coming in from the left as I don’t think it adds anything to the composition.

1 Like

Nice look at the hummer, showing some iridescence. I like the perch and how you’ve composed the image. Would agree with Dennis’s suggestion about the branch on the left.

Hi Dave,

Great sharp shot of a colorful winter visitor and his perch. I like how you framed the photo, and the lighting and background colors. I agree with Dennis and Allen about removing the branch.

Really nice image with good sharpness on the bird and those dangly things. Pleasing background. Love seeing the color on the bird’s head. Agree with Dennis’ suggestion on removing the branch on left.

Really nice iridescent feathers on this Anna’s Hummingbird, Dave. I love the liquid amber seed pods dangling from the tree branches and during Fall, I love the colors those trees produce. I would definitely crop off the left edge to remove the twig. I find it a little bit distracting. I think you could brighten the whole image slightly.

I took y’all’s advice and lost the LH branch, and brightened the image just a tad. I got some good advice here. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Nice job on the repost, Dave.