Fort Morgan, Alabama Sunrise

What technical feedback would you like if any? All…appreciate it!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Keep me on my toes!

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS REBEL T2i
EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

1/6th sec, f/22, ISO 400, 50mm

We go to Fort Morgan, AL to relax, I also enjoy the magnificient birding there. Sunsets are an added plus.

Not much done to this in post processing. Can Jim get a sunrise right? Please let me know (or have it).

Thanks,
Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jim,

A beautiful sunset that works wonderfully. Colors and processing in general look great. Sure looks like you got this one right! :sunglasses: :wink:

Composition wise I think you’ve got a balanced image; just enough beach and sea with emphasis on the beautiful sky. I like the arrangement of the darker clouds bottom and top kind of framing the vibrant sunset colors.

No nits or suggestions really. You might consider reviewing the image at 100% before posting and check for dust bunnies. You’ve got just a couple, so no biggie.

Thanks for posting!

Lon

I just want to let you know I do appreciate your input and thank you for taking the time to make the critique. When I get a few minutes I’m going to repost the original on that Coastal scene that I uploaded yesterday. Just so you get an idea what I was dealing with.

Again I really appreciate your time and the effort. I appreciate good or not so good comments because I think it helps make me a better photographer.

Jim, I think you did well on this one. As Lon points out, you have either some dust chunks or birds that could use a little cleanup. I also might crop down the sky to a pano view and compare. Doing a scroll crop, it seems to really pop the leading line/sky reflection in the surf line and I am not sure how much the top area of the sky adds to the scene?

Jim, I think you have achieved a pleasing sunrise shot here. I agree with Lon, the composition is nicely balanced. With pretty color in the sky, the tendency is usually to make the sky large in the frame, while not showing much land. While you have done that here, I like how the dark cloud in the upper rigth corner (URC) balances against the land in the LRC. I saw @Harley_Goldman comment about cropping that upper area away to create a panoramic crop. I think his idea has merit too, I think both your original crop and a pano crop would work.

I also like how you processed the sky, you nailed the exposure, and you kept the colors realistic looking and not over-saturated.