Male and Kits

Image 10
The Adults

Image 11
Male and Kit

Image 12
Male and Kit

Project Description

My “resident” Red Foxes often come up in my back yard - especially the kits - and I wanted to get some shots of them at play from ground level. I was unprepared for what unfolded this morning, however; the entire family, consisting of the two adults and four kits, were in an extremely playful mood, all of them running, chasing, and play-fighting for more than an hour. I snapped several hundred shots, finally paring it down to about 25 that I thought worthy of publication. I further pared that down to the 12 you see here, which I hope convey the “personality” of these animals. Being privileged to watch and photograph this was a treat I’ll never forget.

Self Critique

The early morning light was challenging; bright in some areas, dark in others. I did very little processing on the animals themselves, but tweaked brightness and color of the grass and the background quite a bit. But, for many reasons, I’m sure I have failed to look at these images with an objective eye - especially as time has passed. But I love the behavior of these wild animals - especially the adults, which were nearly as playful as the kits, chasing them and play-fighting with them with abandon.

Creative Direction

I simply wanted to convey the playfulness of these animals. Though life is challenging and often dangerous for them, they still make time for the sheer joy of play. A lesson we should all take to heart.

Specific Feedback

I’m mainly interested in the conceptual and emotional impact of the images on the viewer, though technical aspects are certainly important.

Intent of the project

Just for fun

Additional Details: To show that even wild animals - particularly the adults - understand the importance of play.

1 Like

You are the reigning king of fox photography! What an explosion of red fox family recreating. I am hard pressed to pick a favorite. Just wow! I bet you had a smile on your face for this whole session.

1 Like

Thanks, Dave. It was definitely a treat watching this family. I was just going to post one photo but, like you, I couldn’t pick a favorite, so I thought, “Hey! A perfect opportunity to try a Project!” Yes, it was a ton of fun!

Wonderful project idea, Terry! I love the whole series and the lesson for us, to take time to enjoy life! It must have been a thrilling experience to be there watching it all unfold. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Vanessa. An experience I’ll never forget.

Hello, You have certainly achieved your goal of showing play. As well as the great colours and detail you have captured lots of emotions and stories in this series! Congratulations!

1 Like

I meant to get back to this and totally spaced it. If you wanted to show the playfulness and family ties of foxes, you’ve done that very well. Dogs are such social animals and have particular rituals around raising pups. Seems like you caught a lot of that during your time with them. They all look lively and healthy and very much a unit. I feel connected to them through your photos and hope that they continue to give you joy for years to come.

One thing I did notice is that photo #3 isn’t processed quite the same as the others - the foxes look much yellower than in other pics. Great work and series.

1 Like

Thanks @Robena.Sirett. I’m glad to know you believe I achieved the goals I set for the project.

Thanks @Kris_Smith. Yeah, the behavior of these guys isn’t a lot different than domesticated canines. I’m especially glad you feel a connection to them, as I believe that’s what wildlife photography - or any type of photography for that matter - is all about.

I feel, and have felt all along, the same about photo #3. Due to the brightness and slant of the sun, the grass looked very yellow. In my attempt to correct that, I may have reduced the yellow too much, removing it from the foxes fur. I don’t know for sure. Anyway, I will revisit the processing on that one and see what I can do with it. Thanks

This is a wonderful series of photos showing the playfulness the young can bring out in all species. I agree on the color of the foxes in image 3. I love the quiet moment in 9 where dad is just sort of ignoring the kits. Every parent needs a break when the kits are being rambunctious. I might include another photo like that just to balance the activity.

Thanks @Peggy_McClure. I have plenty of other photos I could have included to show both the play and the quiet moments this family enjoyed. Although the light was less than ideal, it’s among the most fun times I’ve ever had watching and photographing wildlife.