Framing the Cranes

I was out at Whitewater this time waiting for the Sandhill Cranes, that was quite a site when they all started coming in. After getting some feedback from a previous post I kept the landscape in the photo. I was attracted to the flight in line with the background as well as the crane in the front.

Specific Feedback Requested

I did not crop this so feedback on this is welcomed.

Technical Details

R7 ef 100-400 ii w/1.4x extender. 200mm 1/250 f/13 iso 800. I increase contrast in the hills and did replace the sky with one of my sky library photos. What was there before was pretty blah and I did try to make it better.

Hello, This tells a great story of the landscape and the flock. The colours complement each other nicely. I personally would not crop. I like the poles on the right-hand side as part of the story.

Hi Dean. I like the flock formation and the environment in this image. I do think I’d crop from the bottom to remove the road? in the foreground and probably remove the prominent foreground pole as to my eye it forms a visual block to the line of flight. The background poles don’t bother me.

Thank you for the feedback, @Dennis_Plank and @Robena.Sirett. I like the crop from the bottom, still going back and forth on the pole on the right but here is a view after the changes.

1 Like

Yes I do like this second crop better. I can see now the points Dennis made.

That makes me feel better. I wasn’t sure

I too like the crop and removal of the FG pole like @Dennis_Plank suggested. It’s nice that you caught the birds in the middle of the mountain and the sky so none are flying on the edges. Nice image.

1 Like

I do like this tighter crop as well as the composition, Dean. It also helps put a bit more emphasis on the cranes.

1 Like

Nice image of the cranes in their environment. The sky replacement works and I like the cropped image as per Dennis’s suggestions.

1 Like