Preparing for the flight back

During the day these Sandhill Cranes just relaxed and took it easy. By the end of the day, I notice that some of them were stretching their wings. Only a few at first and shortly after they would take off heading back were they came from early in the day. More and more did the same thing so I focused on this group that were very active. I like this photo because it shows a front and back view of their wings. The sun was getting low which seem to provide nice lighting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Feedback welcome. I did not crop this at all, but I did clone out some on top that were only half of the bird was there.

Technical Details

R6m2 EF 100-400 ii w/ 1.4x extender. 1/800 f/13 iso 1000. I wanted to keep the background cranes soft to help bring focus to the main subjects in the water.

Very cool environmental showing the Cranes’ actions. I’m not sure how you could crop it without cutting off a bird here or there. I do feel like the highlights could be toned down a touch. They look a little bright on my monitor.

A great image, Dean. BTW, how are you liking the R6m2? A friend of mine is considering it.

This photo nicely tells the story just as you described it, the golden light, the movement of the birds in the water and the span of their wings. I always love this colour story of blue and gold. I agree that you might try decreasing the highlights a touch. I might also try taking out the background birds whose necks are not obvious., e.g. top right…a bit distracting as I try to figure out what they are.

Thank you for the feedback, @David_Bostock and @Robena.Sirett. I did take out some of the odd-looking cranes that were hard to tell what they were and toned down the highlights.

David, I really like the R6m2. Canon added a lot of new features that were not in the R7 I just got as well. It actually works better than the R7 with flying birds on locking the focus on the bird. It is very quiet shutter compared to the R7. I heard a R5m2 was coming this summer but who knows, right. I think they have the R6m2 at lensrentals now. I almost did that but after reading the reviews I took the chance. It was worth the risk

1 Like

Nice Dean. I love the light. This kind of shot can get difficult because there are so many elements in it and it’s hard for the eye to grab the subjects. I don’t know what kind of processing you’re doing, but one thing I’ll do in situations like this where you can’t avoid the mob scene is to select the main subjects and give them a little extra detail boost and light compared to the rest. Not enough to be grossly obvious, but enough to make it clear which are the subjects. I was planning on posting one from Bosque del Apache that I took last month, so I’ll do that later this morning to show what I mean. I really don’t know whether it works for anyone but me, but that’s the way photography is.

This is a nice environmental shot. I understand what Dennis is saying, but for me, my eyes go right to the two birds with outstretched wings and then I can move around the scene checking out the other birds. So, for me, your composition works. Being in the dreary, foggy, cloudy, PNW, I appreciate a scene that shows a sunny day.

Hi Dean, nice to get a grouping like this without cutting off any of the birds. My attention goes to the birds with spread wings with the other birds also providing interest. Exposure looks good to me. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback @Allen_Sparks , @Allen_Brooks , and @Dennis_Plank. I will try what you suggested Dennis.