Freezing Fog

Freezing Fog, also known as Rime Ice, coats the trees at the summit of Kancamagus Pass in New Hampshire. Taken from the Kancamagus Highway, a paved road that takes you up to an elevation of about 3,000 feet (which is high for a paved highway in New England). I went here to try to shoot sunrise, but it was socked in with fog. I waited awhile for the light to come up, and ended shooting this scene a couple hours after sunrise. I’ve shot this same tree/view in both autumn and spring, but my favorite image from this location is this winter one, since it is bit more unusual and unique looking.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 200mm, ISO 100, 1/13 sec at f16

4 Likes

Ed,At first I thought OK. But by a better look I saw the beauty of the composition. As if the one standing out tree is telling the others maybe that he is the king. Beautiful colors.

1 Like

Ed, Really like the light gradient from the fog, adds a lot to the image. Great comp in addition. I also go out to shoot something or place and wind up doing something completely different…pays to be open to the process .

This has to be viewed large to appreciate all of the wonderful details and textures in the trees, Ed. A sunrise would have been nice, but I think this makes for an excellent Plan B. I thought the view looked a little familiar, but then I read the story behind the image and thought I had seen it before. You handled the whites beautifully and this has a lovely pristine look to it with the Rime Ice coating the trees. The BG fog helps tell the story and sets the mood IMO. I particularly like the solitary large tree as it towers over the others. Nicely done.

@Ben_van_der_Sande @Mario_Cornacchione @Ed_Lowe

thank you all for your comments, I appreciate your input.

Ed Lowe, this was taken from the Kancamagus Pass overlook near the gazebo, the only pull-off on the Kanc that gets plowed in winter. This view is very popular in fall, which is probably why you recognize it. But because the highway gets you up to 3,000 feet, it’s an easy/safe way to to get up to elevation in winter without snowshoes/crampons. The trees here are usually totally snow covered in winter, the freezing fog was just a nice bonus. This is what the trees right near the gazebo looked like.

Thanks Ed. If that is the overlook on the right side coming from Lincoln I know right where you are talking about. I quite like the last image you posted to accompany the original as it has a refreshing clean feel to it as well. I am going to have to get up to New England in the winter time after Covid is behind us.

Ed, this is from the overlook on the left (north) side of the Kanc as you are heading east from Lincoln. It’'s about a mile further east of the one you are thinking of.