Spring Greens in Fog

In the first week of June this year, I spent a very enjoyable morning in the fog and rain along the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountain National forest of New Hampshire. The spring green foliage colors were so beautiful in the fog, and the white blossoms were just an added bonus. The green colors were so vivid in the rain that I actually had to decrease saturation in post.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70 -200mm f4 lens, 81mm, ISO 400, 1/30 sec at f11

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

A beautiful scene, Ed. I do love that the blossoms are in the forefront of the image, then some dark cedars (it looks like) that are making a nice mid-image layer, and then the softer, lighter colors in the background. Well seen and captured. Raining, huh? Most people would have called it a day and kept their cameras dry. Nice.

I really love the way the layers work here- everything has a gentle fade from front to back and I love it!

I really like the colors and the multitude of layering. The comp feels a little unbalanced to me, with the whites all in the left side and kind of a line dividing the greens. I played with crops, but like it best as presented. The look of spring is great.

Cool misty Spring image, Ed. I enjoy all your posts from New England. I agree that balance wise something is amiss… maybe a crop from the right losing the last Pine tree. A square image with the blossoms in the middle. I also think the image might benefit from a slight darkening of the background giving the blossoms and tender green leafs more pop.

I love these sort of misty, overcast conditions. Processing looks good to me, Ed. The soft lighting is very beautiful and perfect to display spring greens. I might consider a crop of the right side to just to the right of the pine tree. It seems to provide better balance by bringing the blooming trees more to center.

Ed, as you know I love fog scenes and this no exception. I think the colors are handled perfectly for the conditions. I agree with @Dave_Dillemuth crop suggestion to provide a more little more balance to the composition.

This was quite a productive spring for you, nice work!

Beautifully done, Ed! I like the varying shades of green in the foreground trees and the white blossoms add just the right amount of contrast to the image. The panoramic format works great for this image!

@Dan_Hawk @Dave_Dillemuth @Brian_Schrayer @Alan_Kreyger @Harley_Goldman @Shirley_Freeman thank you all very much for taking the time to comment on my image.

For those of you who commented that it feels unbalanced and could benefit from crop to the right, it’s funny, I initially had worked the image doing that very thing, but thought the tree on the right would act as a nice frame (bad call). I should have trusted my first instincts. Well, here is a rework with a crop from the right.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s me but cutting off the bottom half to those flowered trees doesn’t work for me. However, if I chop off the tops as well then having the bottom chopped off doesn’t seem wrong. See if it makes sense to you.

Without the mountainside in the distant background this becomes a different shot, it is now about the flowering trees. But that’s okay, I do like what you have done here Igor, this works very well.

I’m still pondering an alternate crop of the original post, I think there are some further possibilities.

What a cool and refreshing scene this is, the very picture of spring. The fog and its bluish tint adds a lot, as do the dark evergreens. I might consider a slight crop from the right, but this is not a biggie. Lovely as is. Oh, just saw your crop from the right and I like it.