Spring Mist

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is an infrared capture, which was a bit unusual as there was enough light on the FG green trees while the clearing fog left some mystery in the BG. Converted Canon 5D3 (LifePixel SuperColor filter), Canon 70-200 f/4, ISO 400, f/8, 1/125 sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Diane,

This is really beautiful use of the fog to create depth and a nice dreamy look. I thought this was a snow scene until I read your post. The structure of the trees limbs in the IR format makes this work very well. I also like your choice to hold back on the contrast.
No nits from me, wonderful work!

Diane, this is a really intriguing image, great idea to shoot this type of scene in Infrared. The combination of the white foliage and the fog works really well together. I initially thought the title “Spring Mist” was a misnomer, since this looks like a winter scene. I recently wrote an article for NPN titled “Lost in a Fog” and discussed various types of fog. The trees in this image look like they have hoarfrost (freezing fog) on them.

https://www.naturephotographers.network/lost-in-a-fog/

I like the contrast between the sharper trees in the foreground against the softer more ethereal looking trees in the background. It is a very effective way to create a sense of depth in the image. The arrangement of the trees in the composition also looks very nicely balanced. Great work here on your part.

My only suggestion, albeit a very subjective one, would be to consider a slight crop of the negative space in the sky, and take this to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Thanks guys! Good idea about the crop, Ed. I saw (and read) your article when it came out – very good explanations. I live in an area with a variety of microclimates. We are in a small bowl in the hills about 25 miles from the coast and we can get some interesting fog conditions. This was in mid-June with the trees still very green, but there had been some unseasonal late rain and a cool, clear night with some ephemeral radiation fog. I was lucky to get this because it cleared quickly as the day warmed. There are more trees behind those in the BG and it was luck that they were obscured. The jagged tree on the left is the same one in which I shot a GBH much later.

and

but from about 45 degrees to the left of my position here, and up a hillside.

I chose the original crop because of the naturally darker trees on the right edge but I’ve been wondering about a crop from the right to give more prominence to the BG trees. Doing that and burning from the right didn’t seem as nice as the existing right edge so I decided to have a try at moving the edge over. I think it worked well.

Boy, I sure thought this was a snow scene from the thumbnail; it’s a nice effect. I think your crop is an improvement; nicely seen.