Kancamagus Pass Foggy Trees

In my last post I mentioned that my recent trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire was one of the most productive days of shooting that I’ve had in a long time. While the trees down in the valleys were leafed out, at the 3,000 foot summit of Kancamagus Pass the spring foliage colors were just starting to emerge. Some of the maple trees still had red buds and flowers on them. The fog on this drizzly day was just icing on the cake. You just can’t beat spring days like this, I’ll take fog and mist any time.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critiques and comments are welcome.

i think a slight crop from the top might help, what does everyone think ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mk IV, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS lens at 78mm, ISO 400, 1/5 sec at f11
subtle Orton Effect at low opacity added in post processing.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice arrangement of trees with some lush colors in different stages. The fog really adds to the mood. It looks like it was a wet morning. I like the composition as is and wouldn’t crop.

Very nice, Ed. The fog mist really makes this image sweet. I like it as is too. I think if you were to crop any from the top, it would cause the tallest tree to be a bit close to the edge. Very pleasing image.

Beautiful Ed. I find the composition to be solid and well balanced; all the different spring growth elements, colors AND also the fog all have their place.

Got nuthin’ - no nits or suggestions. Clear evidence of a great day of photography and just being out there.

Lon

Ed, it’s nice to have such productive days, we all know that is not always the case. This is another wonderful spring color scene with the fog being a big bonus. I agree that a crop from the top is not needed.

Nice work!

Ed, this is a great example of spring colors. What a fine collection of tree shapes and colors, with the foggy background adding context. I wouldn’t crop.

@Lon_Overacker @Shirley_Freeman @Alan_Kreyger @Mark_Seaver @Hermann_Philips

Thank you all for the comments. I’m actually surprised everyone says don’t crop, I debated that issue for quite a bit before posting here. It’s good to get fresh perspectives. As @Alan_Kreyger said, productive days like this one don’t come along very often, but they can help make up for all of those “close but no cigar” sunrises and sunsets that are part of this game.

Ed,
I am going against the grain here and suggest a small crop of about 1/3rd from the top. For me that just seems to place more of a focus on those lovely spring greens of the trees as I think they share equal billing with the fog. Of course the fog and mist is the table setter for the lovely mood you captured in this scene. FWIW I think your original instinct was correct. Bottom line is you have a winner which ever way you proceed.