Friends in the snow

We are finally having snow to enjoy and I was drawn to the way this group of colorful tree trunks in a nearby wooded area were coated. Reminded me of a bunch of people walking down a crowded city sidewalk all dressed up and talking with each other.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Often when I’m walking in the woods, I notice I’m in the company of a group of living things. I wanted to show that feeling here.

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/250, f/10, 130mm, ISO3200 with minor adjustments to tone curves, sharpening and cropping in LR.

1 Like

John, I like this, especially the personification you have made of it. I’d crop out the brown trunk along the left edge. It’s eye-pulling colorful to me. That said, the other couple of colorful trunks are integral to the busy street scene!

Great analogy, John. Helped me start my day off with a smile. After reading your description I could definitely see people walking down a crowded street chatting away. Also appreciate your comment about being in the woods, so true, most of the time I prefer the companionship of nature. The subtle colors of each tree is marvelous, along with their various shapes and positions make for quite an engaging composition. I see what @Mike_Friel is referring to on the left, might even crop just a tad from the bottom. Depends on your vision. Great shot!

John,

I too appreciate the analogy as I can imagine this just as you described - a crowded venue of people both interacting - yet also randomly anonomous, like on a crowded street or concert or something.

I also agree with Mike and would consider cropping the left and different colored trees. Not a huge deal, but (might) increase that chaotic sense - but actually make it even more an example of making order out of chaos.

I think you accomplished your goal of seeing - and capturing the sense of “living things.”

Lon

John, this appealing woodland image can certainly be perceived as an abstract as well. There is an intriguing interplay of colors and textures to my eye. I especially appreciate the delicate details and your careful and expressive treatment of colors. Great work in my opinion.

Having read the other comments, I might agree that the tree at the left border draws the attention a bit strongly. Yet cropping it would destroy your interesting composition I think. Maybe just reducing the saturation in the bark of this tree would be an option. Hope that makes sense to you.

I enjoy your image a lot as presented, thanks for sharing.