Frost protection using ice

Orchardists use water to keep temperatures from going so low that buds and trees are damaged. It is usually applied by overhead sprinklers but sometimes under trees or both. Many times wind machines are also part of the process as are smudge pots (now propane and natural gas driven (see David Bostock’s post in non-nature critiques)). This photo is an example of how the ice encases the blossoms and buds to protect them. It can be a challenge because most photos are taken while the water is running.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
7DII; 100/400 at 248; -1/3rd; 1/640th; ISO 400; 11.00. Handheld; Auto WB

@Jim_Gavin I just recently heard of this technique. It’s very interesting. It also makes a unique image.

Lovely image. The protection also comes from the heat that is released as the water turns to ice—think of what happens when you make ice cubes in your fridge: you have to extract heat to get ice.At the beginning of this challenge, I wondered what we’d all possibly find, and you have a winner!

That’s very cool. I lived in a part of NH with a lot of apple orchards and this technique was used there, too. It can only be done in from about 29 to 32 degrees F, but in that narrow band it works. And makes a great photo, too. Nice sharpness here and the slickness of the ice is obvious as well. I love how the light bends through it as well.

Hi Jim,

I have used this on my blueberries and it does work. Large view is very nice and the brightness of the image conveys that warming may actually be around the corner…Jim

Jim, the ice covered buds and blooms stand out beautifully against the blue sky. The icicles have interesting texture and the clear ice shows of what’s inside as well as the blue sky very clearly. My one thought is to wonder if you tried (or were able to try) a vertical.