Frosted window + repost

original

repost

Frosted window from when we lived in Colorado where we had frost on a regular basis. Although clearly not that great (technically), I was so surprised when I open the door and found these crystals on the window. Our front door had a window and then a storm door. Somehow the crystals formed front door window . . .moisture and really cold air is my guess.
Take with a Nikon D70 . . . pretty much “point and shoot” mode, but it appears I did attempt some adjustments as the file info reads: jpg, f/14, 1/40sec., ISO200 @60mm - no tripod or remote release.
This is where I say something like “I wish I knew then what I know now. . .” but I still like the image mostly for the colors and form the crystals created. Any thoughts and comments would be great.
Thanks.

7 Likes

All technical aspects aside, this is a very eye-catching image, Linda. The intricacies of ice crystals are amazing and beautiful.

Really nice crystals and color. Maybe blur the OOF areas more? Neat capture.

Such beautiful, intricate ice formations. They look like they are gilded ferns. The blue background really sets them off.

This was a wonderful find! The colors are gorgeous but too bad more of the areas aren’t in the plane of focus. I often wish I had known more (a LOT more) when I started playing with photography.

I think it would be worth cropping some from the left to balance the composition a bit more.

Thanks so much, @terryb, @Harley_Goldman, @Chris_Baird and @Diane_Miller. Glad you like as much as I do and can look beyond all the obvious “lack of experience.” :wink:
I did, as Harley suggested, blur the LRC a bit and also added a slight vignette in the corner to help focus more on the middle. Also, thanks Diane, for the crop suggestion.

Linda, as you say, the crystal structure is outstanding! Getting clean crystals with this much structure has gotten rare as windows and doors get better at insulating.