Frosty Fawn

Here’s a shot I got of a deer fawn in the backyard while it was snowing fairly heavily. It wasn’t that far away so I didn’t have much cropping wiggle room. If you look closely it looks like it’s saying something to me but it was actually chewing on something.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like how it’s looking at me, and the snow on its coat. Cropping too tight?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/200th, f 8.0, 390mm, ISO 900, cropped to 3141 x 3407, Photo AI

3 Likes

Given the potential business of having more background, I think it works ok. If it was a more open field type of situation, I think I’d like more given the falling snow. Looks like it needs a bit of a counter clockwise rotation - it looks like the land does slope, but she looks about to stumble. Love the dusting of snow on that thick, winter coat. Eyes and everything else appears sharp and I like the teeth showing!

Love the expression you caught here Dave, she looks surprised. The snowy environment reminds us of the challenges all wild animals face each Winter. I like animal shots that fill the frame, and you show enough local environment here, but a little more room on all sides wouldn’t hurt either. You had some nice even lighting and I like the detail in her fur.

This works well for me Dave. The snow on the coat adds a strong point of interest. I’m fine with the intimate crop. Well done.

I think it needs some more room horizontally, snow looks great !