Frosty Thistle

There is still quite a bit to photograph in the winter time with a macro lens. Even dead stuff has a character all of its own.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback on composition or processing

Technical Details

Taken with a Fuji X-T4 with Fuji 80mm f/2.8 macro lens. 50 image focus stack combined in Photoshop

2 Likes

Wonderful! The ice crystals look like sugar. The variation in the BG gives a lovely soft look to enhance the detail of the bud and frost.

A wonderful winter photo, Shawn. The soft background and the ice crystals came out very well. The stack worked out very well here.

This is a very nice photo. Shows in fine detail how frost forms on plants.

I agree. I live in the Midwest. So, to find a interesting (for me) landscape to photograph can be a challenge. However, I have all kinds of small things to photo right outside my door. Some of the best photos are frost and snow on these small things.

Shawn, this photo encourages me to start looking in my garden during the winter months. I had been thinking about it recently. You really captured nice details in the frost crystals as well as the dead Thistle. That BG really compliments the subject.

It’s like the plant’s trying to hang on for one last day. Really nice.

I really like this and I think you did a fine job both technically and aesthetically. I really like the crisp details and the fact that the background colours really support the colours in the thistle. No nits from me. :slight_smile:

The ice crystals show beautifully here, Shawn, and the isolation of the thistle head shows off it shape well. When I look at the largest view, I do see a few spots where forward facing bits are soft. As of a year ago, Photoshop always left some soft areas in the middle of sharp areas because of inaccurate masking. (I showed this in my NPN workshop.) In this case it’s also possible that your closest shot wasn’t quite close enough, which happens to me more than I’d like. Yes, there are lots of small “targets” in winter, especially then there’s snow, ice, or frost.

1 Like

I’ve tried this shot several times, but have never succeeded like this. Awesome.