Adjust your perspective

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from my walk in the frosty weeds at the end of December. I think this is an aster and I liked the position of one leaf with the remnants of the flower so I did a freehand focus bracketing session and hoped for the best. I used the back screen to fire the shutter and fix the focus point when the breeze died down. The separate shots show less movement than they might have with an automated bracketing session done by the camera. It isn’t perfect, but I like it for its odd nature. It was quite a job finding one that was both aesthetically pleasing and far enough from the background and other flowers to work. Luckily I had hundreds of yards of trail to pick from.

Specific Feedback

Stack look ok? Other thoughts or ideas for processing welcome.

Technical Details

Tripod
12-image stack

Lr to get source images ready for stacking which meant improving contrast, wb, texture & sharpening. Messed with the color a little bit before and after stacking. The final crop was done when Zerene handed back its TIF. As usual it’s a DMap image with some source and PMax details used in retouching.

1 Like

Kris, I really like this. The position of the leaf as well as the “bloom” with the frost makes a really nice subject. That complimentary BG just makes it pop. It all looks good to me. I will the stacking experts to discuss that. A well posed and executed shot, as far as I am concerned. Thank you for sharing.

Kris, this is excellent. As I’m a big fan of water-pumping-windmills this gave me the look & feel of nature’s mimicking of one. The ice just seems to add to that look too. Thanks for sharing this neat small slice of nature… :raised_hand: HIGH 5
I had a friend who knew Tex Burdick the author of " Blades in the Sky: Windmilling through the Eyes of B. H. Tex Burdick. … :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Paul_Breitkreuz - glad the positioning looks good for you, I must have looked at 100 before finding this one! LOL.

Windmills hadn’t occurred to me, but now you mention it. Should have dawned on me since many farmers and landowners still use them for pumps and other things scattered on their properties.

1 Like

I didn’t see a windmill in it either until @Paul_Breitkreuz mentioned it.

Kris: Now that Paul has mentioned a windmill I can’t get the idea out of my head. I like this and how you’ve composed and presented this frozen flower. It looks like our mild winter is coming to a crashing halt this weekend so I may be on the hunt for similar opportunities, or I may just enjoy sitting with a cup of hot chocolate and admiring your work. Nicely done. >=))>

You clearly chose the best one – I love the front-on view and the soft BG with colors that match the flower! Wonderful ice crystals and a nice visual flow the way there are more of them on the outer edge of the leaf and moving up around the top of the flower, giving a 3D feel. Instead of exiting the frame at the bottom, that leaf comes in from there – maybe because the OOF leaf (?) in the BG anchors the flower. Very lovely!!

Very cool image, Kris. I can spot a place or two where the stack doesn’t seem perfect, but they’re not obtrusive. The composition and background are excellent.

Very nice detail and the warm background has enough OOF snow or ice to make it work for the viewer. You could even crop it tighter if so desired. Well done…Jim

The background and the positioning of the aster really standout for me. Windmill? After reading @Paul_Breitkreuz comments I’m with @Shirley_Freeman. Can’t seem to not think about it. I can see a bit of camera twirl . . … @Jim_Zablotny suggests a tighter crop. I agree. There seem to be vertical marks on top and slightly from bottom on largest view.

Thanks @Bill_Fach, @Diane_Miller, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Zablotny & @Jim_Gavin - windmills for everyone!! Funny how things snag in our minds once pointed out.

Bah…dumb of me to miss those stacking artifacts on the edges. A crop or healing brush will take care of them! Doh.

Oh and thanks for the EP. :blush:

1 Like

Lovely and a well-deserved EP, Kris. I love the matching BG.

Congrats on the EP for the “windmill” scene here, Kris… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
:+1: :+1:

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz & @Mike_Friel - I admit that it adds a certain connection, that human element. We need that more in the world.