Fry The Mountain

While driving in the Canadian Rockies I came across this double rainbow, but the part that caught me most about this scene was the sun rays that seemed to shoot from the rainbow onto the mountain. For me, it looks like the rainbow is frying the mountain with laser beams.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback would be appreciated, I wonder if you prefer the pano or the 4:3 photo

Technical Details

ISO 100; 24mm; f/8; 1/60 with a tripod

This is the 4:3 photo

Wow, what a mind bender, Ron. These are both outstanding. A terrific example of Mother Nature at her finest.

1 Like

What a unique image Ron. Both of them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen sunbeam and a rainbow in the same image. Incredible. I find that the pano could use more room up top and along the bottom. The rainbow is cut off and so to are the trees so I feel like if you had those extra pixels I would add them back. I fyou don’t have them it doesn’t make this image any less stellar than it is, I’m just saying that I would prefer it if there was more room. :slight_smile: I agree with @David_Bostock about Mother Nature at her finest!!!

1 Like

Ron,

Wow, this is a mind bender for sure! What a phenomenal moment in nature. And not only did you get to witness this - you got to capture it for all time.

Can’t argue with David(s) that I’m wishing you had the whole rainbow - but I’m not complaining. Wow, what a great capture.

Now, I’ve been racking my brain wondering how the heck could the angle of those sun beams not be the same if they came from the sun? Now I’m no physicist, but I finally remember refractions… and how light bends (creating rainbows for starters…) but it must be than the sun’s rays change directions and end up perpendicular from the rainbow. I’m sure I’m way off on my science.

What a wonderful moment.

Lon

1 Like

As others have said what an amazing moment to have witnessed. For me the pano has more impact but I do like the 4:3 in terms of composition and a more intimate feel

1 Like

Thansk David,
I had a problem on the lower side of the picture, there is a road and cars there, on the one hand, the picture was more complete, on the other hand, I just wanted nature. But I’ll try it, maybe it will actually be interesting.
Regarding the upper part, it really bothers me that there is a part missing, the upper part of the rainbow simply wasn’t there, there were clouds and I thought there is nothing to shoot higher, unfortunately, I was wrong…
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks Lon, I didn’t think about the direction of the sunbeams, really interestinghb

I don’t have anything to add to the critiques you’ve already received, but wanted to mention that sunrays that are opposite the direction of the sun are called “anticrepuscular rays”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticrepuscular_rays I noticed them for the first time recently and had to do a little research when I got home to figure out what I had seen. :slight_smile: (@Lon_Overacker )

3 Likes

Holy moly Ron, what a moment! Looks like one of those ecstatic moments that we constantly seek as landscape photographers. I prefer the pano shot as you can see the whole mountain. I took the liberty to adjust a couple things, but really the image is outstanding as presented. True it would be nice to have a little more space at the top, but the fact that the rainbow fades on the left side helps a lot in that sense. I did some dodging and burning using the history brush technique (Alistair Benn style), and lightened up a few shadow in Lightroom. I wanted to see more of the mountain, but these are just personal style adjustments.
The 4:3 shot showcases the rainbow nicely, but I still prefer to see the whole mountain.

I prefer the pano, especially as we see more of the beautiful golden “fried” patches stretching across.I like @John_Dodson 's dramatic take on it too.

I prefer the 4:3 since there rainbow is cut off anyway.
Both of them could use some NR on the sky for me.
Very nice scene.