Red Rock Rainbow

I was driving back to camp after an afternoon of hiking and saw this scene off in the distance. I drove like a madman to find some kind of high point and ran to set up. I got off a frame or two before the filtered light disappeared off the red rock.

D850, 24-70mm

3 Likes

Could not have timed it better! That section of sky on the left might be a little bright.

I’ve been there. The sun probably illuminated that entire red hill when you saw it first. The light changes so fast during such times. You’re left with a slice of your original vision. I think that’s one of the big reason I don’t shoot grand landscapes. They’re so unpredictable.

1 Like

Just spectacular Harley. If I hadn’t read your story with the image, I would have assumed you spent some time finding and figuring out your composition. I really like the degree of balance in your composition. I guess at decisive moments like this, years of instinct just take over, this looks like a pre-planned composition. The light on both sets of buttes is gorgeous, and the dark tonality of the the foreground complements them perfectly.

My only suggestion is that you could likely get away with a slight increase in mid-tone contrast in the sky, if you were so inclined. But that is really minor, overall this is an excellent image Harley.

Harley, All I can say is ,what a great moment in time. In comment I am with the others.

Hi Harley! This is awesome! I’m so glad you were able to find a place to capture this moment in time to never be repeated! I had to take a double take when I saw it in landscape critiques as opposed to showcase!.. Just my honest, amateur opinion.

Harley, how nice that you could find a spot to shoot from while the light held. The rainbow looks great, it’s nice to have a double bow showing subtly and the shaft of light on the red rocks is outstanding.

This is spectacular, Harley. Probably my favorite from your recent travels. I think you came away with a strong, well-balanced comp. Not too bad for an old man moving quickly ;o). This lighting is about as good as it gets. Post looks spot-on.

I love the colours here. The blues compliment the red rocks and the saturation levels look spot on to me. No nits from me, this is a great moment.

Spectacular image, Harley. I am sure you noticed the double rainbow. The clouds blended with the tan light near the rainbow works beautifully with the distant sandy outcroppings. You couldn’t have done much better. I do agree with @Ed_McGuirk about the sky. The bright blue part may detract a bit from the mood? Just my personal view. Great shot.