Gadwall Express

A Gadwall hen & two drakes doing a very fast fly-by. I had to swing the camera like I was shooting skeet but it was much more difficult (try shooting skeet using a high power scope on your shotgun :astonished: )!

This was taken in March which is still Winter in Valdez and the mountains are still covered with Snow.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 367mm, ISO-160, f/5.6, 1/4000, hand held.

2 Likes

Gary, you caught the birds very well. I also like the background textures.

I think you’ve captured the birds beautifully here Gary. The light falling on them is terrific and I love the expressions on the left two birds.

I feel like the background generally works quite well, especially around the birds themselves where the whiteness helps them standout, but I find the bottom 1/6 or so is pulling my eyes away from the birds. I played around with it a bit in photoshop and I feel like crop and linear gradient that darkened that bottom area might help.

I’m enjoying this image very much! You’ve captured the birds well. Background is subtle and places the bird nicely in their habitat.

I also had a play in ACR. The darker pieces on the top of the background drew my eye a little and applied a Linear gradient with reduced contrast and shadow.

We’re all a bit different (thank heavens).