Winter Gadwalls

Image Description

I thought I’d include a Winter wildlife scene for this week’s challenge. We have quite a few ducks (predominantly Mallards & Gadwalls) that stay here all Winter on the tide flats. This a a pair of Gadwall ducks flying by while I was walking the dogs on the flats. It’s a female in the front and a male in the back. The snow covered mountain in the background makes them standout quite nicely.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600mm (900mm w/crop factor), ISO-250, f/6.3, 1/4000, hand held.

Hi Gary,
that’s a beautiful wildlife shot. The ducks are nice and sharp. They really stand out against the blurry background. And I like the color contrast between the bluish background and the orange/brown tones of the ducks.

May I ask if you are satisfied with the 200-600? I thought about it for a long time and then decided on the 100-400.

Hi Jens. Overall I am very satisfied with the 200-600. Before it was available I had the 100-400 and I still have it but since I got the 200-600 it has been just gathering dust. I leave the 200-600 on my a6500 all the time for wildlife. The obvious advantage is the extra reach (especially with the crop factor of the a6500) but one other significant advantage is the internal zoom which doesn’t change the camera balance while zooming plus it’s much smoother and more controllable. For example; as birds are flying toward me I can very easily and smoothly keep the frame the same size as they get closer. Also, if you use a tripod with a gimbal mount the 200-600 doesn’t change the balance point when you zoom out/in. About the only disadvantages compared with the 100-400 is the weight and the bokeh is not as smooth when shooting with a smaller aperture. So far the weight hasn’t been a stopper as I hike with the camera and shoot hand held all the time. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi Gary,
thanks for the detailed lens review.
I didn’t take into account that the internal zoom makes such a difference. But the way you describe it, of course, makes total sense.

a6500 and 200-600 sound like a perfect wildlife combination.

Gary, I like the mix of abstract background and real ducks, it adds nicely to the drama of the flyby. How nice to have both birds in the same focal plane.