Gale Force Forest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken on the same day as the last couple of my posts in this forum. I was wondering what would happen if I just pointed the camera out the car window at the woods as I drove along at 50 mph and trusted the AF to keep the abstraction down to motion blur. As you might expect almost all of the results went in the trash can, but there were a couple like this one that appealed to me.

Specific Feedback

Does this convey the feel of very high winds in a conifer forest?

Technical Details

Sony A1, Tamron 28-200 @ 74 mm, hand held, f/22, 1/10, iso 250. About all I did on this one is remove a dust bunny, raise the exposure just a bit, and increase microcontrast using an antique Topaz plugin.

Dennis, I do not get that impression from the photo as is. I think the key element my eyes are missing is a little more green. You do have the motion present, but I do not associate that with a conifer forest because of the absent green hues I would expect. I see some faded green at the bottom of the image only. However, the bright section that dominates the photo keeps my eyes away from noticing the forest.

Thanks, @Egídio. I was afraid that might be an issue. This might be a back-to-the-drawing-board exercise.

You have some greens throughout the image. Maybe the new Point Color addition in LR can add some greens hidden in the motion lines.

Dennis, I get this impression of a murmuration of starlings in flight as wings cut through the air, leaving us only a glimpse of the trees in the background. I do not get the sensation of high winds in a forest. I quite like the artistic qualities of the image for the impression that it left me with. Thank you.

Hi Dennis. I love the brush strokes in this image, yet what I find is that my eye is pulled around a bit too much. I start on the left and flow toward the right but them am pulled back into that lower left corner and then the lower right corner. I think if more of the trees showed as in the lower left through the scene we might get a stronger feeling of ‘wind’ in the forest. Like I do, we just have to keep trying these until we get one that’s just right, eh? It’s fun, but also a challenge. Keep on playing!