Galloping Gallinule

Juvenile Gallinule

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife and I were taking a walk on the Alligator Alley Boardwalk in the Everglades last March. These two gallinules were having a dispute about the territory and the adult ended up chasing the young one off. I loved the long awkward strides of the adult, the emerging colors of the juvenile and the chase. I know it would have been better if they’d chosen to come toward me instead of away, but I guess that shows the pursuit in the last shot.

Technical Details

1. Canon 7D Mark II, 100-400 lens with 1.4 ext. at 280 mm, (big crops), f7.1, 1/1600 sec, iso 400.
  2. Same except 200 mm.
  3. Same except 309 mm.

Definitely a bird on my must see list. The first image you caught at a perfect moment with that long stride. The second shows a more peaceful pose with nice colors and detail-maybe decrease the highlights in the flower, though the flower is a nice addition and I like how this image is composed. The third shows some nice action-glad you kept the water splash.

1 Like

Hi Ed, these are gorgeous birds - thanks for sharing! I love seeing those huge splayed feet in the first and second image - really shows how these wading birds are able to get around in their environment. I also like seeing the habitat of lily pads these guys hang out in. The colors on the birds are really nice as seen in the first and second image. - such beauties. Nice catch of the action in the third shot even if they are moving away from you.

An excellent series, Ed. The first image is just wonderful with that side-on shot of the Adult in full stride. It looks like the juvenile was closer to the boardwalk because the angle of the shot is a bit steep. I’ve never been there so I don’t know if there’s enough gap in the railing to get down lower for the shot or not (and some of us are having trouble getting back up these days). While they’re running away from you in the third shot it’s still an excellent behavior image.