Garden Party

If you’re old enough to remember the song, then you’ll quickly be confused as to what the song has to do with this image… well, nothing really… but I have this habit of associating song lyrics, movie lines, etc. etc. and often pull them in to conversations, and some times… my images. At least one part of the song lyric of the chorus resonates with me:
“But it’s all right now, i learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can’t please everyone, so ya got to please yourself” ~Ricky Nelson for those that are curious. :slight_smile:

So I think it’s a bit fitting - we do nature photography because it makes us happy - we’re not trying to please anyone else…

Another image from our quick get together at Point Reyes National Seashore now almost 2 weeks ago!

Specific Feedback Requested

As always, all feedback, comments and suggestions welcome. That’s why we’re here after all!

I’m curious if you think this is too much of a 50/50 comp. I have a square crop removing much of the grasses up top. Also need a color/saturation and processing check.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @65mm, f/11 1/5s iso 200. a 3-image focus stack

8 Likes

Lon,I love the colors and the soothing composition. The image seems busy but to me peaceful . Well made.

Hi Lon. Very well done. I love the colour combination of green and grey. It is a vivid picture but not too restless. Thanks for sharing.

Lon, as soon as I saw the title I knew the connection to Rick Nelson and his Stone Canyon Band as I recall. Like several artists forced to travel a lot he had a horrific ending in the old DC-3 crash. I spent a lot of time in those old birds they were pretty bullet proof.

I can relate to your point in finding image titles and reverting to some of the similar avenues. Speaking of movies I think the last one we discussed was the original “Flight of the Phoenix”, with a huge old time cast including Jimmy Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Hardy Kruger, Ernest Borgnine, Ian Bannon and others. As I recall I’d shared the Youtube of Paul Muntz the stunt pilots last flight in that movie before he crashed and was killed.
btw: Hardy Kruger just passed away this last year out in the Palm Springs area. He was in his 90’s as I recall.

Anyway, a truly excellent image here. Although one of those chaotic natural scenes it has almost a cultivated or groomed look to it also. I think the color-scape is what is so appelaing for me at least.
The only small thought for change might be to turn down the exposure gamma slightly. This of course can be a bit of monitor & browser dependent so no big deal there.

It’s 0230 and I’m headed out to JTNP… :clown_face:

A great small scene with all its colors, patterns and textures. At the same time chaotic and calm (how is it possible?)! I like the composition (not too much 50/50), and IMO you should keep the grasses up top.

Hey Lon! Ya know, I was looking at this before reading requested feedback and was thinking about other crops. However, the more I looked at it the more I liked the crop used. I think square is good for a consistent patter, color, etc. But since you have multiple flora going on here I think your crop is the one to stick with.

Hi Lon,
I’ll be a little contrarian. I think a crop without the grasses at the top might work a little better since the foliage pattern would be red/green/red (bottom/middle/top). A square crop would also add a sense of symmetry to the foliage pattern. It would also call attention to the two grasses in the center as a subject - which I think they are. Just my $.02 :slight_smile:.

BTW, I got the reference too!

Wow!! I stumbled around here and just never found a composition I liked. The few I shot were just record shots. The few I thought might have some compositional merit got deleted. But you found a wonderful small scene here! It’s like on of those English cottage gardens where chaos is tamed.

My only thought might be a slightly lowered contrast in the grasses on the top, but that’s just a sort of wonder-if thing. I love the mound of green and the curves in the grasses.

I think the absence of the anti-alias filter in your camera must contribute to the stunning sharpness of detail here.

Love this, Lon. Sorry, I didn’t get the reference and I’m 60 years old. Oh well. I love this as is. I wouldn’t crop at all. After reading a few of the comments one thing sticks out to me. How in the world can there be chaos and peacefulness in the same image??? This is one of those images. It just works. As far as the colors, I think you could add a slight amount of hue so the greens aren’t quite so green but I love everything else about this. It’s well composed and more like 60/40 which works well for me here. That ice plant is amazing looking. it’s so colorful and vibrant. I think part of the peaceful feeling comes from the swept over grasses curving. If they had been a hard straight line this would not feel as peaceful to me but it’s those graceful, curving lines that are so prominent that provide that “peaceful easy feeling.” Lyrics.

1 Like

Lon, this is a lovely look at this mix of short growth. There’s a fine visual bottom to top lead and having the two clumps of grass does a good job of creating a gentle transition from the low growth at the bottom to the grassy area up top. A square crop (without the top grass) would also look good, but it would be a very different picture. The saturation is strong, but appropriate for the ice plants and green shrubs, especially if they’re backlit.

This is a lovely combination of “garden” elements Lon. The swaying grasses at the top are wonderful and nicely compliment the vegetation in the lower half.

The vibrant colors make this image in my opinion. Red and green(yellowish) make a great color combo and they really carry this image. I agree that a composition of just the ice plants may have been a winner. I don’t recommend any crop but the greatly reduced colors up above really separates the image. There some bushes amidst those grasses that might be worth accentuating. The other suggestion would be to add a vignette that only darkens the frames top edge. That’s a minor adjustment that could bear fruit perhaps.

Another option would be to somewhat reduce the saturation of the large lime green area and bring better balance between above and below. But I still think that bringing up the colors above is the better option. Maybe some combination of the two.

This image isn’t just about colour, it’s also about texture. I find the white grasses at the top of the frame beautifully compliment the green grasses in the bottom centre. Really, what I love about this image is the way it rhythmically builds and contains my eye in the frame. It is a nuanced and beautifully balanced composition.

1 Like

Oh, this is lovely! Kerry’s description nails is for me, also. There is a wonderful rhythm to this, with the differing textures moving up the frame. I wouldn’t change a thing. And I’m sorry I missed this get together!!