Gathering Food for Winter

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Is he really camouflaged? I wanted to show the viewer how animals adjust to their surroundings. Isn’t natural selection incredible when you see animals in their natural environment. I hope I capture the essence of my intent.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

An American Pika captured in Rocky Mountain National Park in late Summer. I wanted to show the little mammal in its natural environment.

Submitted to Camouflage Weekly Challenge

Technical Details

Nikon D800 with a Nikkor 80-400 VR lens @ 400mm
1/400 sec @ f/10
ISO 220 @ -1 EV
Aperture Priority
Pattern Metering Mode
09/14

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic/Technical and any other suggestions

OMG this is adorable!! My head just exploded from too much cute. Although the camouflage-ness doesn’t come through very strongly here, I can see how they would be hard to spot in this landscape. Until they move, I bet they’re invisible.

Thank you, Kristen.