Gbh

Hi All,

Not the most uncommon of species, but a frame I liked. This fellow was taking a break from hunting and roasting in the summer sun. Soon after this shot, it opened its wings in an attempt to cool down.

Didnt do much in post. This is about full frame. Sharpened the bird a touch, reduced noise on the BG, and cloned out one stray sprig of grass. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4, tripod/gimbal
1/3200
f/6.3
ISO 640

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

These birds seem made for portraits, Lyle and you pulled this one off very well. I like where you cut the bird off and the light is wonderful. The bright green vegetation is probably realistic, but I think it might work better if it were toned down a little. It competes pretty strongly with the subject.

Excellent detail and textures in the plumage. Well composed. Nice eye contact. My only issue is the color separation between the dark part of the beak and the BG. As Dennis stated, the green tones could be desaturated a tad which may help the beak separation.

I love portraits and this one has very appealing detail and a nice pose. I was wondering about the green also, and the separation between it and the darker area on the left. The bird may be a bit concealed if the green is darkened, but I wonder about a little lightening and tweaking the color a little warmer, then possibly lightening the darker area a bit and matching it to the color of the green area, just a bit.

Thanks, all. Greens are natural, but I tamed them a bit below.