Green Heron in Flight

Shot this summer at a friend of mine’s neighborhood lake. A couple of green herons raised a brood, which allowed for some flight shots.

D850
500mm f/4 AF-S II + 1.4x tc
1/2500
f/6.3
ISO 1000

All feedback welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Wow, gorgeous shot Lyle. Love the color variation on these guys. Can’t wait to get a shot at one.

I like the topside view of the Heron against the water. Exposure looks great. Bird is a bit soft especially on the head. Looks like critical focus might have been on the near wing.

Agree with Keith. This is a nice shot showing off the colors of the bird well. I don’t believe I’ve ever gotten a shot of one of these in flight.

Great wing position on this shot, Lyle. I really like the iridescence on the wings and tail. It would have been nice if it had been flying slightly toward you instead of slightly away, but I’d certainly consider this one a keeper.

Thank you all for the feedback. I don’t personally see where the bird is soft, but that’s ok. I could post a larger image that has been through PS, but I don’t have time right now. I do agree that the bird is a little past me and angled slightly away. Those issues are cured in the next image, but the wings aren’t fully exposed. Oh well, didn’t check every box here, but I’ll take this one until I get a better opportunity!

Looks plenty sharp to all over… great view, not easy, wish I had it…

Excellent flight shot of an elusive bird - even on the ground.
Nice colors as well.
Definitely soft, but easily fixed.
You mentioned it had not “been through Photo Shop” - ? IMO, all digital images can benefit from a little PS cleanup, even if only cropping and sharpening…
This shot is very well worth a bit more work.
Sandy

Beautiful topside view of one of my favorite little predators. Nice detail and wonderful color.