Generations

I recently returned from my first trip to the Oregon coast and while I was there I also visited the Redwoods of Northern California. Photos of course do not do justice to the Redwood forest since they really do not convey the incredible scale of the location.

With this image I was drawn to the contrast between the old growth Redwoods and the much smaller trees. I was trying to balance the spacing of the Redwoods with the color from the smaller trees.

I often struggle to capture intimate forest scenes, but I had more success in the Redwoods than I have in the Smokies which are much closer to home. In the Smokies I find that I have more success by including streams rather than just straight forest scenes.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and critiques are welcome. I’m particularly interested on your thoughts on the composition.

Technical Details

Capture Info:
24 mm
f/11 @ 1.6 sec
ISO 100
Polarizer

Processing Info:
Lightroom processing to balance tonality
Reduced mid-tone contrast in PS and added a bit of a vignette to keep the viewer’s eye in the frame.

1 Like

I know what you mean, Brian. Forest images are always a challenge–to get some sense of order from the chaos. I think you achieved it quite well here. I think the set of trees you chose works well and I like the comp with the larger tree right of center. Colors look spot on for the redwoods. Well done.