Geology & Trees + Rework

REWORK (remove bush, lower contrast/lights on outcrop):

ORIGINAL:

Along the eastern edges of the Coast Ranges of northern California, a geologic unit known as the Great Valley Sequence makes for interesting outcrops. The harder sandstone beds really stand out against the softer shale, and where the layers are thinner, the patterns are quite striking.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ve photographed this outcrop more than once, but I’m always a bit dissatisfied with the results. It’s the balance between sky/rock/trees that I’m not sure about. So, any comments re composition are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 37mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 400.

1 Like

This is beautiful, Bonnie! I really love how the light catches those stone “ribs”. I also think that the large tree on the left balances the image perfectly. With the lines of the rocks pointing to the upper right, the visual mass of that tree adds just the right amount of counterbalance which results in a very pleasing composition.

The choice of a sepia treatment keeps us on the details of the land and the shapes - lovely contrasts between the rock, the sandy layers between, the bushes and the trees themselves with their bare branches. The cloudy sky makes a nice backdrop for those. I bet this has a much different feel when photographed in summer. You could get rid of the left most small bush if you wanted to. It would give more weight to the trees IMO, although it does sort of balance for the brighter one on the slope. What a terrific place to visit and a geological treat.

What a fascinating place, Bonnie. At first I was reminded of a cemetery with headstones. I love the B&W treatment and the processing in general. I think this is a really nicely balanced image. I don’t think I would change a thing. Well done.

I does have a sort of Hitchcockian sense to it. I can see Anthony Perkins wheeling his mother up there in a wheelchair. It reminds me of movies from the 40’s. There’s a sense of impending danger in this scene.

I like this image for it’s strong emotional content. Here’s my feeble suggestion. I would darken the hillside a bit and reduce some of the contrast there.

2 Likes

This is a beautifully composed image Bonnie. Like others have mention, the balance is just right and I think the tonalities are wonderful.

I like Igor’s Hitchcockian thoughts and his RP. For me, somewhere in between your OP and Igors would work OK.

This is a fine image as is.

I think you nailed the composition Bonnie. Wonderful detail in the very small branches of the trees. I just love the light hitting the diagonal rocks. I agree with Igor that this has a strong emotional aspect to it. Dark and dangerous. I like this as is.

Bonnie, this image is so weird and I mean that in the truest sense of the word. For me, not so much Hitchcock as Bergman, like The Seventh Seal - both impressionistic and surreal - I almost expect to see Death and The Knight sitting up there on that hill playing chess. Personally, I wouldn’t darken it. Igor’s rework settles the image down but I think this image is meant to be unsettling. Really, Bonnie, a work of art. I salute you.

1 Like

Lots of awesome things here, but I love how you have all the diagonals parallel to each other. Terrific composition in my opinion.

As others have said, this is a well balance composition Bonnie. Great use of the diagonals as well as the sepia toning.

Thank you, @Tom_Nevesely, @Kris_Smith, @David_Bostock, @Igor_Doncov, @glennie, @David_Haynes, @Kerry_Gordon, @Adhika_Lie, and @Eva_McDermott for your thoughts and appreciation. :pray: I value everyone’s opinion.

I did think about that and figured I’d leave it in to see what folks thought. I’ve done a rework minus the bush.

Interesting observation! I like it.

This is a good suggestion. I tried dialing back the brightness of the sandstone beds, and it does make it “feel better”. Perhaps the really bright, angular ss beds gave the bottom too much visual weight and that’s what was bothering me. Thanks.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Oh my, this is fantastic! I too get all the emotional and other inferences (Hitchcock, et. all) as this image certainly evokes the imagination and the mind.

On top of that, I had a more literal and geologic reaction as well. In all my years in Northern CA, the coastal hills, inland valley hills and the Sierra foothills, I can’t say I’ve even seen anything like this. The striations and the sedimentary layering - turned vertical from uplift - I’m assuming… are simply amazing - like some great archeological find. Your b&w treatment really shows these features and tells a great nature story - in addition to any other story one might imagine from this.

Both versions work (sans the bush) in terms of highlights and contrast.

Great work!

Lon

Thank you, @Lon_Overacker!