Georgetown Loop Railroad

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a big family vacation to Breckenridge, CO, in June 2022, we went on the Georgetown Loop Railroad. It was built with a complicated multiloop design, in order to climb what would have been an excessively steep grade. I love historic technology, and this was a nice opportunity to try to take some photos of a train up in the mountains while riding in it.

Technical Details

Sony a7, 28-200 mm f/2.8-5.6 lens, ISO 6400, 1/400 sec, f/10. Tonal and color adjustments and cropping in On1 Photo Raw.

Cool. What a heck of a track. Very bendy and I like the puff of steam/smoke leading across and over it. Or maybe trailing. Either way it works. The near tree gives a nice idea of how high up you are as well as the bridge supports themselves. I bet it was heck of a time.

You could crop out the bright bit of sky in the URC if you had a mind, and also the dark bits of trees coming in from the left. Cloning would work, too. I think the aspect ratio works well for this long presentation. And it might be a touch magenta…?

Nice capture. I can practically hear it chugging along.

Thanks Kristen! I’m not sure whether the protocol is to post new versions in the reply or the original post? I’ll try it here.

I tightened the crop to remove the sky in the URC, and used On1’s “perfect erase” (fancy cloning) to clean up the tree intrusions on the left. The URC is still tricky, because the pale rocks and lighter tone still look kind of like bits of sky. I brought the whites in that corner way down, which looks better but still maybe not quite there. I also adjusted the tint of the whole image away from magneta and towards green. The side of the mountain in the background looks better this way, but the smoke loses that blue color.