Get Off My Lawn!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Several years ago we witnesses one of the most powerful wildlife encounters I’ll likely ever see. Two large male Grizzly Bears got in a tussle over an Elk carcass. The image here was just before that happened. The sound of the roars from across the Yellowstone River was really something. It would have been truly terrifying to have heard that in the woods and not know how far away they were!

Specific Feedback

Honestly, this isn’t the most stellar image but the subject matter makes up a little bit for the soft image.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikon 500mm f/4 with a 1.4TC
ISO 2000, f/56, 1/1000th, 700mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Wow, Im sure that is something youll never forget! EEEK!
Nice action image of the grizz here, chasing off the interlopers!
Apex predator at work!

Paul, it’s a nice catch of the Griz chasing the Ravens. Those Elk antlers are big also.

Great action photo. No one has to explain what is going on. (“One photo is worth . . . .”) Did you get any shots of the tussle?

This is just a great action shot Paul. I’m not sure I’m seeing anything soft at all in what you’ve posted here. If that bear is that aggressive toward the ravens, I can imagine what another bear is in for…

@Ed_Williams @Jim_Gavin @Mark_Seaver @SandyR-B I’m not sure how well this will show here, but this is a time lapse video I put together of the shots of the fight.

1 Like

That is awesome Paul. What a sequence. Brutal!

It shows very well. “Awesome” from me, too. Thanks for putting it together. Wish I’d been there to see and HEAR them.

Congrats on the EP here Paul. This one is epic.

Congratulations on the well deserved EP.