Getting Ready to Head South

Description: One of our little ruby throated hummingbirds resting guarding a nearby feeder. The behavior of these birds has changed and they are spending more time perched on the feeders.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 200-400mm f4 at 400mm (1/400sec at f7.1, ISO 1000; natural light). Levels, slight tweaking of the curve for linear profile and crop for comp. Sun was heading down and could not tighten up the aperture at all. Bokeh turned out nice.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I know nothing about hummingbirds but I just feel this is a juvenile - perhaps because the bill looks short. I imagine they don’t flock for migration? What created that super bokeh? Lovely shot.

Thank you @Mike_Friel . This is a young male with the dark streaking on the throat. Hummingbirds do not form flocks during migration. The sun was behind and to the right and some trees partially blocked the light. The bokeh were produced when some of this light sneaked through the gaps in the leaves…Jim

1 Like

Excellent detail & clarity in this hummer, Jim… :+1:
I keep my feeders going year around. Some of our So Cal hummingbirds remain in the area all year. Although the count does go down slightly during the winter. We almost never see freezing levels anymore in our area with climate change… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hi Jim, I like the pose you caught here with the bird in profile. Nice details on the bird. I also like how the perch cuts through the image in sort of a semi-circle. Nice background too. Well done.

1 Like

This young guy is adorable. Ours have all moved on. Adult males seem to go right after the youngsters fledge, but the females stick around after that. I like the curve of the branch, but would darken it to the right of the bird if it were mine. Not much, but a little. Super little face - the focus is spot on.

1 Like

Excellent detail, color, and pose. Perhaps the brightness on the right side of the perch could be a tad darker.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Divid is right about the breast and right hand side of the branch being a bit bright, maybe a local brush can handle that. The Hummingbird looks great and vary nice detail and color.
Peter

Nice pose, and always nice to see them sitting every now and then as well. Love the circles in the BG. Cheers, Hans

1 Like