Ruby-throated Hummingbird, adult male

I’ve been taking so many photos of flying hummingbirds this summer that I decided to try for some perched shots before they migrated. I attached a thin stick to the feeder pole using a plamp. This adult male obliged me one morning. This was taken in full shade so I had to keep my aperture wide and shutter speed slow even on a tripod. I tried for a shot in the afternoon in full sun but he would not oblige me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm C, tripod
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/100s

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

What a knock-out background. Good strategy with attaching a more natural perch to an unnatural one. They do take breaks now and then, but not direction. Still, it’s a softly lighted shot with some terrific feather detail. Maybe a tiny bit more contrast? Such a sweet portrait. Those feet kill me.

@Kris_Smith
Thanks Kristen. The background is a tree in the far distance.

Wow, what a great shot, Allen. I love the pose, position in the frame, and the background. Nice work.

Super pose and detail. Perhaps half a stop less saturation?

Hi Allen
You have to love Hummingbirds, this one looks at pease. Your shot has nice framing and good detail.
Nice work.
Peter

Wonderful detail and the gorget display is lovely! Perfect soft light – I doubt full sun would have been nearly as nice.

Very nicely done - the BG looks almost unreal. Briljant details on the bird, and I like the vertical crop. The (lack of) light works great here ! Cheers, Hans