Ruby Throated Hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any? ALL…ALL…ALL

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ALL…ALL…ALL

Canon EOS 700
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/160th, f/13, ISO 800, 400mm

A friend gave me this perch, I had my doubts. Over that summer, I saw one perched on it several times. Like this image? Please let me know and thanks in advance!!!

Jim
Louisville

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

It’s actually quite an artistic looking perch, Jim. To my eye the hummingbird’s pose is awkward looking, particularly the head turn and the effect it has on the look of the eye (or perhaps the nictitating membrane was deployed).

Feathers and colors on the back look pretty good. But, honestly, this one isn’t doing it for me. The angle of the bird’s head is a bit odd, and the eye is doing something strange. Also, the image quality seems to have degraded from something, a big crop perhaps? There is a pretty good amount of noise in the image. Finally, this is a personal preference, but manmade perches just aren’t my thing. Don’t mean to be harsh, so please don’t take the fairly harsh critique the wrong way.

Well, that is an interesting perch. Not my favorite, but it is what it is. Head angle and eye are pretty odd and don’t help the overall image, but my biggest concern is the obvious use of flash on the image. If the image looks flashed, to me it just doesn’t work. Looks like an on camera flash with TTL and no flash compensation.