Ruby-throated Hummingbird(s)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The juvenile hummingbirds are out of their nests here now and visiting our feeders. I put out my flash set up this evening with scarlet honeysuckle to capture these images. Attracted by sugar water.

Specific Feedback

In the past my set up shots sometimes get critiqued for needing more brightness and pop. What do you think about these?
Any favorite poses out of these four?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 580 EX II speedlites @ 1/8 power, tripod
ISO 200, f20, 1/250s

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

A very nice series, Allen. Excellent feeding poses from the hummingbird and a very artistic flower display. To my eye, your flash could use a little bit of tweaking-the flowers look just a bit flat. Just don’t ask me how to tweak it as I have no idea.

Thanks Dennis. The flowers may be slightly on the worn side age wise. I considered boosting them with saturation but didn’t want to overdo it and have them compete too much with the bird.

Excellent series Allen. Great focus and nice realistic colors.

Superb, all!! The second stands out for the detail on the back but I would be overjoyed to have captured any one of them. Saturation and WB looks perfect. A tweak more modeling on the flashes is worth trying – maybe tone down the one coming from the left? Would pulling down the Highlights and brightening the shadows tone down the flowers a bit and punch the birds? They are a little lighter/brighter than the hummers and I wonder if that balance is tweakable a little? If not, no big deal. Gorgeous setup and captures!!

All of these are great, Allen - fine detail , nice poses, true colours, and complimentary flower. Hard to choose a favorite!

I like the poses in the first and last one in the series. You cpould tweak the lighting a bit to get some stronger shading. It takes a lot of tinkering with flash distances to get it perfect. There appears to be enough shading there, but it is subtle. Well done…Jim