Giant Swallowtail + Repost

Description: Normally, I wouldn’t do much photography at midday this time of year, but I spied this Giant Swallowtail busily

laying eggs on a Wafer Ash, Ptelea trifoliata, in my yard. Photo caotured at 12:37 p.m.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Cabob 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 165mm, f/8, 1/1500 sec., ISO 3200, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

2 Likes

Great image, Terry. I love the action and the detail you’ve gotten in the BF. If it were mine, I would consider cropping from the bottom a bit to help focus on the BF and also simplify the image. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks, Linda. I’ll play with the crop a bit.

1 Like

Terry, that is way too cool getting to see and photograph a BF laying eggs! Anytime of the day works for this action. Sure, the lighting would be better at other times, but I wouldn’t turn this chance down just because of the mid day light. I agree with @linda_mellor about the crop. The black on him doesn’t seem to be as black as I would expect. Not sure if that got changed in post processing while trying to work with the lighting or what. Still an excellent image as presented, in my opinion.

1 Like

@linda_mellor @Shirley_Freeman Thanks, ladies. I’ve reposted with suggested changes.

1 Like

Another gorgeous butterfly, with great IQ! The light was wonderfully soft. I like the cropped version as the butterfly stands out so well. I’m not sure of the color accuracy but wonder if you could increase saturation on yellows a bit. Might be easy to desaturate the purple in the BG, too. It is a nice color next to the yellows but looks a bit unnatural.

I never noticed how purple that shaded concrete was until you mentioned it! Yeah, I’m sure I can easily modify the colors. Thanks

Terry, catching the butterfly laying eggs is a treat. The crop and extra contrast let the repost stand show off the BF well. It looks like this was taken in the shade or as a cloud passed over, that will let the blue sky reflected off the concrete look purple (thanks to Adobe’s adding saturation as colors darken). If PSE lets you add a saturation/desaturation layer and mask it, you can create the layer and desaturate just the blue and/or magenta channel, then use the mask to only apply the desaturation to the purple area.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. Yes, the photo was taken in the shade.