Give me some security (update...subtle)

A slightly tweaked version -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I spooked this little one off the remains of the salvia when I watered it and so I went back in for the camera. It was so scared it kept going behind stalks of flowers to hide from me. Here it hugs a flower and tries very hard not to be seen. Probably a young Short-winged green grasshopper. Less than 1 inch long IRL.

Specific Feedback

While I like the pose and the overall composition etc., I feel the flash is a bit too intense here. What say you?

Technical Details

Handheld w/on-camera flash in TTL, but dialed back quite a bit, MagMod diffuser. Added a 6mm extension tube so I could get a little closer to this guy.

Lr for RAW work to even out the tonalities - the flash seemed a bit strong so I did my best to mitigate that - blacks at 0, lowered exposure slightly and then messed with sliders a bit for the S-curve. Wb adjustment and a bit of hue shift for the flowers. Texture, clarity & traditional sharpening & nr & this vertical crop. Ps for distraction removal that just looked weird when I tried it in Lr. It’s weird sometimes.

2 Likes

Hi Kris,
that guy looks really cool. It seems like he found a pretty cozy place to hide. And with its green color, it perfectly complements the purple-colored flowers.

Hmmm… yes the flash light looks a tiny bit harsh. Did you work with your flash setup in combination with the extension tube before? Maybe the flash was too close to the subject.

I agree with @Jens_Ober that the colors are a winning combination here. Good details all the way around. The flash might have been just a bit intense, but I would take this shot and be pleased with it! Well done.

1 Like

Kris, I also love the color contrast you have in this image. He is just too cute trying to hide from you. I’m okay with the flash. It might have been a touch strong, but it didn’t ruin the image with blowouts. Sometimes I have to lower the power of the flash, but I rarely move the distance of the flash and diffuser from the subject. I feel like I have found the sweet spot for them. I change the power of the flash, the ISO and sometimes the f-stop (try to leave that to get the DOF I desire). I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks @Jens_Ober, @terryb & @Shirley_Freeman - I couldn’t have asked for better colors, really, what an accommodating bug! It is rather cute and I have a few more shots to go through. I think the slight light fall off with the extension tube caused me to raise the flash a bit more than usual, but I’m still getting the hang of the whole set up. Right now I shoot in Manual for the camera with auto ISO and that lets me change the flash power in camera using the forward dial when I hit the Exposure Compensation button. That only moves the ISO automatically and I dial in different shutter speeds if needed and definitely apertures. It isn’t a big loss here, just a slight over flash, but I’ll keep playing with it. I like the flexibility I get with it.

Put a very slightly more contrasty shot in the OP, but I don’t know it’s all that noticable.

I can see the subtle difference after you added the contrast. I like it.

Thanks again, @terryb - you know how it is when you just can’t see the photo anymore, at least objectively, so it’s good to know I’m heading in the right direction.

1 Like

I like it, Kris. Just enough.

1 Like

Very cool!! Great colors with excellent DOF and a soft BG, and I LOVE the way it’s hanging on trying to hide! The tweak worked well but I can’t criticize either version.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Diane_Miller - it was terrified of me and I gave it breaks and kept the session short in the end. It was just too cute to leave totally alone!

1 Like