Glaucous-winged Gull Taking Home the Bacon

Or actually a Moon snail (I’m pretty sure that’s what it is from the looks of it in other frames with a better angle). This was taken at a well known location on Hood Canal for Bald Eagles, but I had a lot more fun with the Herons, Gulls and Crows than with the Eagles.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is the first time I’ve used the Sony at a location like this and m blue saturation seemed way too high. I dialed it back quite a ways so I 'd be interested in how it looks. Also, if any Sony shooter has had this issue?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

In the original the gull looked almost as if it were taking off backwards, so I rotated the frame a bit clockwise. I think it’s about right now, but I’d be interested in other’s opinions.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/3200, iso 500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Rotated, cropped and added a touch of canvas on the top during the process. Reduced the blue saturation quite a bit. Taken at 9:00 am on July 21st.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great shot.
Love the wing spread and the positioning of the bird.

Hi Dennis
I can see your point, the gull could be landing or taking off. The whites, detail, eye contact and snail look great. nice work.
Peter

Oh wow, Dennis. He looks like he is dancing ballerina, up on his toes like that. Great capture for you and the gull. The colors look fine to me. I think you did a good job if they were overly blue.

This is an excellent action shot of this gull, Dennis! Gulls are so common that they don’t seem to get much attention but they are very pretty birds and have a lot of interesting behaviors and antics. I enjoy shooting photos of them also. The exposure on this shot is right on the money for the bright white feathers, btw! As you know, I shoot with a sony a6500 also and this type of scene and lighting is normal for my area. Consequently, I have to regularly deal with the overly sensitive blue saturation levels, particularly in low light, blue sky situations. My initial processing is with Capture One Pro (Sony edition) and it’s very easy to back off the blue saturation without affecting any of the other colors. My understanding is that the a6600 is supposed to have improved on this problem. I might have to consider an upgrade, espcially since it also has animal eye tracking.