Gliding tide

This image is of the very start of an incoming tide on large sandy flats that are moderately remote. It is always a quiet and serene feeling as the tide slowly rises in small ripples over the very gently sloping area.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments regarding composition and whether the scene invokes any emotion or just a sense of boredom. I am unsure whether simple and calm scenes such as this are of any general interest. Maybe a sense of some tension is needed for more interesting small landscape scenes?

Technical Details

1/160s, f8.0, ISO100
Nikon 105mm
LR, PS, cropping and some additional saturation and sharpening of the reeds.

Phil,

Wonderful image! Even without reading your comments, I got a distinct sense of an incoming tide - those little ripples really tell the story.

The tuft of grasses are a nice anchor to the scene. I think my only nitpick/wish would be for some breathing room on the left. I’ll take a wild guess and say that there is something outside the frame that prevented including some space over there?

I really like the lines of the ripples - both the straight/diagonal as well as the curved lines at the bottom. Very cool and engaging.

Lon

Thanks Lon. You are quite correct…some ugly looking reeds on the left edge just outside the crop. I waited there for a while to get what I thought was a decent combination of ripples. Cheers.

Hi Phil. No boredom at all, I think that the scenery is very calm and peaceful with these soft waves coming in. I also like the soft colouring and the combination of blue and brown. Very well done!

What a great image. It is so peaceful, you just could relax and sit and look at the image. The ripples make the image. As already discussed, a little bit more room to the left would have been improved the image further.

Wonderfully serene image, Phil. The colors also add to that peacefulness. Great catch.

All said above – most viewers would long for more room on the left, even though it wasn’t possible. Frustrating. A machete??

1 Like

For me, I immediately notice the beautiful curving lines in the water along the bottom wrapping around those grasses juxtaposed with the perfectly straight line on an angle at the top of the image. Those two things provide a ton of interest by themselves. Add in the grass reeds on the left edge which are wispy and provide another contrast to this image and you have a terrifically interesting image. The image looks a little bit flat to me but you may have processed it on purpose this way. I would try adding some highlights and or whites to make it pop just a little bit but again, that may not be your intention. I don’t actually mind the cluster of grass right on the edge of the frame. Works for me.

Thanks David. Very useful suggestion as always, thankyou. I have now tried adding some highlights and adjusting contrast but the only area that has enough highlight potential is that of the reeds and they then end up too bright or bleached looking, whilst increasing contrast led to a different feel altogether…loosing the origninal intent to some degree. I didn’t think to try those options originally as for some reason I didn’t see the image as being a bit flat (which it is) so another learning experience…thanks.