Gloomy Quiraing

Quiraing, Skye, Scotland

Any one that knows me is probably aware that I just love images that are beyond dreary, gloomy or as we Scottish refer to them as “dreich”, a word that is almost onomatopoeaic and descriptive of miserable weather. The mood, never mind the subject matter of this scene is so fundamentally Scottish you can almost feel the clawing mist and rain and that nasty damp cold that despite being above freezing makes you feel utterly dejected and shivery. Odd then that I like it so much. It has an eerie and majestic silence that despite the cold makes you (me), want to drink endlessly the atmosphere that it conjures. It probably doesn’t do the same for most folk. This is the first of my dreich images, I will subject you to one more.

1 Like

Ian, I am looking forward to your next dreich image. This one brings me a little bit of the mood you will share to me.I am curious what the next one shall bring.Beside this I think it’s a great image and a nice composition.

Ian,

A superb composition and to the extent that a single dimension photograph (or is a photograph two dimensions?) can bring that mood to a viewer without having stood there… you’ve succeeded beautifully. There’s the straight nature story too with that singular tree growing sideways out of the outcropping - no other trees in sight. But of course it’s the gloomy atmosphere with the ever present damp fog that is captured so well here. Kudos all the way around.

I’ll mention the road, just because I can. For me, there is enough road that I think it becomes an added element of value (and story telling) rather than a distraction; any less road and I would clone it out. As presented, doesn’t bother me at all.

Lon

Lovely dreich. I wish we had more days like this in my neck of the woods (we always want what we can’t have, don’t we) - it’s such a beautiful mood.

Great mood and beautiful comp and image. Dreich is working very well for me in this one. I am looking forward to the next one.

Ian, this is nicely moody. I’m especially attracted to that tree goes from sideways to upright in it’s growth. There’s a fun story in that shape.

Scotland has such fabulous light, dreary, gloomy, stormy, but it makes for such wonderfully moody images. Love this one Ian.

Hi Ian,

I like the mood here and your composition with the tree, peaks and lakes.

I think the high key presentation creates a dreamy peaceful mood - even though it may have been cold windy and rainy in real life :grinning:

Ian,
I have to echo much of what the others have stated. This composition is just excellent -great subject, depth and balance. Of course the mood is wonderful.
Lovely work!