Glory Bush

Rework:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this plant in our local arboretum today. I had no idea what it was, as the label was too rusty to read. Then @Dennis_Plank found the name with Google Lens (see below). The genus is Tibouchina, a neotropical bush growing well with other tropical exotica in a Korean hothouse.

Specific Feedback

As this is my first submission of a shot made with focus bracketing, I’d appreciate in particular your views about how well it looks as a stack. Even info about small imperfect details would be useful feedback.

Technical Details

Olympus OM-1 + 60mmf2.8 macro 1/15 f4 ISO 640 tripod

22 shots focus-bracketed in the camera, then stacked in Zerene. I did a second stack of the PMax and DMap results, to finish things off. A small crop and a run through Noiseware was all I needed to do by way of post-processing, which was very pleasing!

1 Like

What a neat little flower. Reminds me of phlox or something similar. The petals are so perfect and fresh. I like the composition and how the leaves support and point the way to the flower. Maybe a touch more room on the left would be nice.

The stack looks good, too. I can’t see any issues there. Good detail and sharpness - even the tiny hairs on the edge of the petals is there. Nice! Everything looks buttery smooth.

Maybe taking down the brightness of the main stem behind would be good as well as adding some texture to the flower itself…just a little could make it sparkle a bit more.

Congrats on the new gear, btw. Hope it brings you many happy hours working with it and our tiny subjects.

1 Like

Very nice!! Composition is lovely and the stacking looks perfect, and I like that the leaves are left slightly OOF. Very nice soft light.

1 Like

This is sweet, Mike. The first thing I noticed were the tiny hairs on the edges of the petals-always a good sign. I like that you ended the stack where you did and left the leaves out of focus. The composition looks excellent and I can’t see any stacking issues.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank @Diane_Miller and @Kris_Smith for your feedback. Kris, it’s actually close to 1.5 inches in diameter, so bigger than phlox. I’ve incorporated your suggestions in the rework above, all creating improvements to my eye. Gracias!

Beautifully done. Comp is excellent. Initially I thought this could be a geranium, but the leaves don’t indicate that. I don’t know what it is, but whatever, you did a great job of displaying it.

1 Like

P.S. Mike: Tried this in Google Lens:

1 Like

Wow, @Dennis_Plank - great detective work - I’d never even heard of Google Lens (but then I don’t have a smartphone!). I really like to put correct names to my photo subjects, so many thanks for your help here.

Hi Mike. I used my computer… If you do a Google search there’s a little rectangle on the far right of the entry form with a dot in the middle. Click on it and it lets you upload an image (or drag and drop it). Then it tries to match the image.

1 Like

I can see I’m going to be using this quite a lot from now on @Dennis_Plank ! Really useful.

@Dennis_Plank Nice detective work. Thanks for indicating how you solved the mystery.