Glossy Ibis (juvenile)

Found at the Savannah NWR yesterday morning. It was foraging with several other juveniles (Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron). This was in the Loop Road ditch, next to the freshwater marsh.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Take your best shot.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything on comp, color, pose, etc.

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH, braced in SUV window
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/60s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.7EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1600
64% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio & DeNoise, TK sharpen for web @ 40%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the composition, showing the habitat, and the reflection (though I could also see a crop removing the reflection). I like that you caught some motion in the Ibis, though at that shutter speed it seems to have caused a tad softness in the head.

Hi Phil. I was going to suggest cropping this quite a bit as the reflection doesn’t really add muc to me, but the slow shutter speed seems to have resulted in some motion blur in the Ibis, so this is probably a good scale to show it at. It makes a fine habitat shot. I think you could go to iso 3200 on that camera, but it wouldn’t have bought you that much extra shutter speed.

I don’t have any problems with the composition or the reflection. The image is a little soft when enlarged to maximum. Looks like motion blur to me. It works well as a smaller image. Good job on the black plumage.